Lex Luthor

"What do you want to know?"

"Whatever you want to tell me. Whatever is bothering you."

"Alright," Lena began shakily. "When I was four, I was adopted into the Luthor family out of a group home. They seemed very nice at first. I was given my own room, a huge allowance, and practically anything I could ask for. I wasn't given much love though, which I soon realized. I began to wonder if they had adopted me for my brains. I was always seen as very bright. I spoke at a young age, I interacted with the older kids in my group home, I got into fully fledged arguments with them over children's shows, and there was this one incident where I performed a scientific experiment on this girl's teddy bear because she pushed me down the stairs. There were a lot of tears when I handed him back, missing an arm, and concluded that wool, compared to cotton, burns rather slowly.

"Anyway, the Luthors always showed favoritism towards their biological son. They actually spent time with him. They didn't seem to care about me at all, unless I was winning some award or doing something impressive, so naturally, I became quite the overachiever. I was captain of the debate team and the soccer team, head of the science club, and in all the honors classes. However, it was never enough. Lex was still better, somehow.

"Lex was kind, though. I didn't hate him. He made me feel welcome. Every Friday night in the summer, we would watch horror movies in the garage. He taught me how to play pool, and I was almost always included when he and his friends did something. That was... before. That's what made his... new nature so hard for me.

"I'm sure that you're fully aware of how his character took a turn for the worse. It was terrifying. Of course I wanted him locked up, but every time that he would take on your cousin, I would still pray that he wouldn't get himself killed. I don't know what I would've done if he'd died. I loved him. Hell, I still love him. And that's what makes this so hard."

She sniffled, trying in vain to hold back her tears. Kara pulled Lena into her lap and rubbed her shoulders. She kissed the crook of her neck.

"Keep going. Let everything out."

"That letter was like a punch in the stomach," she whimpered. "He made it clear that he doesn't love me anymore. I am alone. I have no family. He had tried to kill me before, but I could lie to myself. I could tell myself that he believed it to be a necessary sacrifice. But I can't deny his hatred of me when he's explicit about it."

She buried her face in Kara's shoulder. Kara felt hot, wet tears drip onto her skin and slide down her neck onto her shirt. She held Lena close to her chest, realizing how broken she was.

"You're never alone," Kara told Lena. "I've got you."

Lena sobbed audibly.

"I'm not ok."

"Of course you're not. Who would be, after all you've been through?"

"Can I stay here tonight?" Lena asked, her voice shaking.

"I'd be happy to have you," Kara answered. "But I've got to head to the DEO for a bit. Pajamas are in my bottom drawer. Pick the ones that look most comfortable, and I'll be back soon."

She gave Lena a kiss on the forehead and took off into the sky, but not toward the DEO. She was going to the Supermax prison that houses Lex Luthor.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kara barged into the interrogation room, looking at Lex with disgust. It had been easy to convince the guards to let her speak with him. After all, she was a Super. Lex sat in a metal chair, handcuffed to the desk in front of him. He tried to appear calm and casual, but Kara could see the slight shake in his hands. His thin dark hair, that Kara didn't know he was capable of growing, was disheveled and his eyes were sunken in, a sign that he hadn't seen the sun in a while. If Kara wasn't so furious, she might pity the man seated in front of her. But he had hurt Lena, and that was not ok.

"Do you know what you did?" she growled, glaring at Lex.

"Supergirl. Have a seat," he returned cooly, gesturing towards the metal chair on the opposite side of the table.

"Do you know what you did?" Kara demanded, remaining on her feet.

"Does this have something to do with my sister?"

Kara clenched her jaw and stared daggers at the sorry excuse for a human being in front of her.

"You haven't seen how upset, how distraught she is about receiving that letter? Why did you send that? How could you send that? She's your sister. For the love of Rao, she's your family!"

"Not anymore," Lex said. "And you can tell her I said that."

Kara knew that there was no way she would do that. She couldn't stand for Lena to break any further.

"What are you to my sister?"

"Funny," Kara scoffed. "Your mother asked me the same thing."

"You love her, don't you?"

"Don't you?"

"No."

"If you tell her that, I'll break you."

At that, Lex smirked. He had the audacity to smirk! Kara felt rage and hatred well up inside her. She could beat the crap out of him right now. He was defenseless, and she was a superhuman. She didn't, though. She wouldn't sink to his level. Realizing he had struck a nerve, Lex began to dictate a new letter to Lena.

"My estranged sister," he began. "How can I put this lightly? You are a disappointment. If you weren't good enough for the Luthors, what makes you think you're good enough for a Super? You need to stop trying to play hero and wake up. You're no hero. No one will ever love you, and Supergirl is no exception."

Before Kara could stop herself, her fist had connected with Lex's jaw. He almost fell out of his chair. She felt her hands close around his throat.

"Go on," he croaked. "Do it. Become a killer, I dare you. I'm more than happy to die."

As much as she would've liked to, Kara wouldn't do it. She wouldn't do that to Lena. Lex may be an asshole, but he was still her family, and Kara knew that that meant something to her girlfriend. She wasn't going to make things worse. As Kara sauntered out of the room, she heard Lex laughing behind her. It took all her self control not to turn around and finish him off. On the way back to the apartment, she cried for Lena Luthor, the raven haired beauty who had all the odds stacked against her.