Aftermath pt 2

"Kara? Kara, love, are you alright? What's wrong?"

Kara was being shaken awake by Lena for the second night in a row. She sat bolt upright, covered in cold sweat and breathing heavily. Nightmares had begun to plague her sleep like they had when she was a kid. However, Kara was sure they'd go away. After all, she had just experienced something very traumatic only almost five days ago. It was in the early hours of Saturday morning.

"I'm fine," Kara assured a worried looking Lena. "Just a bad dream."

"Last night, it was also 'just a bad dream,' and you mentioned something about night terrors when you were a kid. Are you sure you're alright."

"Yeah, I'm fine. Don't worry about me," Kara insisted. "Just go back to sleep. We're going to see Lex today, and you'll need your energy."

Lena sighed and wrapped her arms around her girlfriend. Kara knew that Lena would try to stay awake until she believed Kara to be asleep, so she tried to calm her nerves enough to fake it. It seemed to work because Lena had soon drifted back off into a blissful dreaming state. Kara snuggled closer to Lena's chest and tried in vain to fall back asleep, but before she knew it, it was eight o'clock, Alex was waking them up, and she hadn't gotten another wink.

Kara dressed slowly, still annoyed that, although most of her powers had come back, she was still missing her superspeed and her heat vision. Being as slow as a human sucked, even if she did still have exceptionally sharp reflexes from working for the DEO.

Kara rode in a jeep for the first time in months on the way to the Supermax prison. Even though she could fly, she wanted to stay with Lena, who wasn't particularly fond of being carried through the sky. Kara was fairly certain that her hands around Lena's were the only things that kept them from shaking. Lena was scared, and no one could blame her. She was about to confront someone who had tried to kill her numerous times, who was extremely dangerous and capable of more than anyone could imagine, who knew how to take down a Kryptonian. Not only that, but she was about to confront someone who she used to love, and probably still did, someone who hurt her deeply, someone who it would pain her to see. So Kara squeezed her hands.

The first thing Lena said when she saw Lex was, "Your hair really does look awful."

Kara snorted but managed to stifle the rest of her laughter. Lena's green eyes pierced Lex's, but instead of seeming guilty or afraid, Lex let out a low chuckle. Lena's grip on Kara's arm tightened as Lex spoke.

"Hey there, sis. I was wondering when you'd pay me a visit. How've you been?"

"Cut the chit chat, Lex, you know full well how I've been. Now, I've got a few questions, and I know you've got answers."

"Shoot," Lex stated simply.

"You'll tell me what I want to know?"

"What the hell? I'm bored."

"Ok, well, how did Mother escape?"

"Tunnel. I kept the guards distracted while she dug it."

"How'd you do that?"

"A friendly wager," Lex smirked.

"What kind of wager?"

"I bet one of the guards that, with the right kind of tools, I could make my hair grow back. You know how boring it is here, he went along with it. And look, it worked."

"What kind of tools were you provided?"

"Just access to a chem lab under close supervision. I pretty much worked with a gun pressed to my temple. You get over the anxiety after the first few days."