Misconception

It was just after midnight when Kara heard a knock on her door. She lay still, hoping that whatever it was would just go away. Another knock. No such luck. She groaned as she pushed herself out of her warm bed, yawning. There was a third knock as she stumbled to the door.

"I'm coming, I'm coming, have patience," she called to whoever was at the door.

Still half asleep, she unlocked her door to find Lena standing outside. Her eyes shone with tears that had yet to fall.

"Lena? You alright?"

"Kara-" She looked up, her voice breaking, and then backed away in surprise. "Supergirl? Uh, I'm so sorry to bother you. I'll, uh, let you get back to... y'know..."

Kara stood blinking in the doorway, confused. By the time she realized that she wasn't wearing her glasses and her hair was down around her face in the limp curls that distinguished her alter ego, Lena had already retreated to the elevator. Kara sighed and fell back against the door. Lena knew her secret, and Alex was not going to be happy. Still, Lena's reaction to finding out that she was Supergirl was strange. Confusing, even. Kara guessed they would talk more when they saw each other at Noonan's tomorrow, and the tired Kryptonian stumbled back to bed.

The next morning passed as usual. Kara got up, went to work, said hey to James and Win, and then took her break at ten thirty to go for coffee with Lena. However, when she got to Noonan's, Lena looked extremely upset, more upset than Kara had expected. She approached their usual table with a friendly smile.

"Hey, Lena! I see you've already gotten your coffee."

"So, I stopped by your apartment last night," Lena said, getting right to the point. It was a very characteristically Lena thing to do.

"About that-"

"You don't have to explain yourself, Kara. Who you sleep with is your business. I just can't believe you didn't tell me that you were screwing Supergirl!"

At this, Kara was confused. Something wasn't adding up.

"What are you talking about?"

"You don't have to lie about it. I was there. I saw Supergirl, standing in your doorway in a pair of boxers and your NSync t-shirt."

"Lena, I think your confused. Can we go somewhere to talk?" Kara pleaded.

"What's wrong with here?"

"Just come with me," Kara directed, already heading out of the coffee shop.

Lena shrugged and followed. Neither of them noticed the waiter standing behind Kara who heard the whole thing. Kara darted down an alleyway, Lena close behind. She paused at the end for a beat, then pivoted to face Lena.

"What's going on?" Lena questioned. She wasn't sure she liked it, whatever it was. "Why did you take me down a sketchy back alley?"

Kara took a deep breath before answering.

"I have something I need to tell you."

She began to undo her button down, pulling it apart to reveal the red crest emblazoned on her chest. Lena's eyes widened, and her jaw dropped.

"Y-you're her," she stammered. "But you can't be. But you are!"

Kara nodded. "I wanted to tell you every time I saw you. Oh, Alex is gonna kill me."

"Y'know, a lot of stuff makes sense now..." Lena trailed off.

"Wow. What a very clear, well thought out sentenced, Miss CEO. 'A lot of stuff makes sense now.' Good thing you're not a journalist.