Just Ignore It

The next day at work was absolute insanity for Kara. The rumour that she was sleeping with Supergirl had spread like a wildfire over the past twenty-four hours, and by the time she took her break, the entire city seemed to have heard it. James Olsen approached a very flustered Kara, who looked wide-eyed at the crowd of people waiting for her to leave the office on the street outside.

"I just want to go get lunch," she mumbled. "I just want to see Lena."

"What's up with the crazy rumour about you and Supergirl?" James asked, clearly very amused. "It's not true, is it?" he added, just loud enough for nearby workers to hear it and look up curiously.

Kara grabbed him by his necktie and pulled him into Cat Grant's old office, his new office.

"Not funny, James," she snapped, glaring.

"If looks could kill," James remarked.

"Looks can't, but super strength can," Kara threatened. "How am I supposed to get lunch with Lena when I can't even get my ass out the door without being hounded by hundreds of strangers."

"Did Kara Danvers just curse?" James questioned, pretending to be shocked. "I am so ashamed of you. You wash out that dirty mouth this instant!"

"Do you think this is some kind of joke?" Kara demanded, growing angrier by the minute.

"This is the most hilarious thing that has happened in a long time."

"No it's not! The entire city, the entire country, thinks that I am screwing National City's hero! I got a text from Kal-el about it this morning! I can't leave work, I can't see Lena... I can't be SUPERGIRL! I saved a driver from a car explosion, but all people wanted to talk about was my 'relationship' with Kara Danvers. They want to know about my relationship with myself!"

"Ok, so are you just upset that you can't get out of the office to go on your lunch date, or are you actually seeing Lena Luthor?" James asked.

"Well..." Kara blushed. "Um... both?"

"Dammit..." James muttered. "I owe Win twenty bucks."

Kara shook her head, exasperated.

"I'm going to try to walk to Noonan's. Maybe if I ignore them, they'll just go away."

"Good luck to you," James called after her as she got into the elevator, taking a deep breath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Kara?"

Lena's voice filled Kara's stomach with butterflies and she couldn't help but smile.

"Hey, so I'm being followed by a large crowd of people so I can't make it to Noonan's."

"Ok... So I'm guessing ignoring it didn't go very well?"

"Nope, I'm afraid not. I'm going back to my apartment. I'll text you the plan. Bye! See you later!"

"Bye..."

"Who was that?" one of the people following Kara asked. "Were you talking to Supergirl?"

Kara continued to ignore them, marching straight towards her apartment a few blocks from CatCo Headquarters. She darted inside, leaving the mob of people behind. Once inside, she sent Lena a quick text that read:

So sorry about this! Sneak into the building through the back. I'm going to distract the crowds.

Within a few minutes, she got an 'ok' from Lena and changed quickly into her Supergirl costume. Sighing, she lapped around National City and flew towards the apartment building, pretending that she wasn't aware how many people were outside. Upon seeing her, the crowd went absolutely crazy. She flew back and forth, acting like she was looking for a way to get back into the building. When she was sure that Lena had had time to get inside the building, Kara darted towards her balcony and practically sprinted through the open door, slamming it behind her. In her haste, she tripped over her rug, bumped into Lena, knocked her to the couch, and then fell on top of her.

"Hi," Kara greeted the other girl awkwardly. "Looks like I, uh, fell for you, didn't I?"

"God, I love you," Lena laughed, peppering Kara's lips with kisses. "Now, get off of me, you're elbow's crushing my spleen."

Kara sat bolt upright. She blushed and muttered apologies as Lena sat there smirking at her flustered superhero. Once Kara seems to regain her composure, Lena held out a brown paper bag from Noonan's.

"A grilled ham and cheese, an apple, baby carrot sticks, a sticky bun, and a chocolate milk, as usual."

Kara grinned, digging through the bag.

"Thanks, Lena. You're the best," she said between bites of sandwich.

"You eat like a four year old," Lena commented.

"Thank you," Kara said.

"Why?"

"The way a kid eats is honest. They choose food because they like it, not because it makes them look fancy or sophisticated."

"That's certainly an interesting way to look at it."

Kara demolished her food in a matter of seconds. While Lena ate her salad, they played a game where she picked all the croutons off and tossed them one by one into the air for Kara to catch in her mouth. By the time she'd finished eating, Lena's laughing so hard that her mascara began to smudge from the tears in the corners of her eyes. She picked up Kara's phone to check the time, and, upon seeing all of the notifications regarding gossip about Supergirl and Kara's relationship, her mood dampened. Kara could sense that something was wrong.

"Lena?" She looped her hand around the girl's waist and turned Lena to face her.

"Kara, how long are we going to have to sneak around? How long until this dies down?"

"I don't know..." Kara frowned. "I honestly don't know what to do."

"Well, I've got a meeting in twenty, so I've got to find some way to sneak out of here."

"I'll cause another distraction," Kara suggested. "I think I've got just the thing. It may solve both of our problems. You'll need to go out the front, though. I'll be luring people to the back." She gives Lena a quick peck and steps out onto her balcony. "People of National City! I've just spoken with Kara about what I'm sure you're all wondering about: Our relationship. Feel free to film or record in some other way what I am about to say."

As suspected, people came flooding towards the back of the building. Kara continueed.

"Yes, I did stay the night at Kara Danvers' place once. However, we have come to the decision that we are much better off as friends. There is no room for a relationship in my life right now, and I would like to ask you to please respect her privacy. Now, please, continue on with your day."