Rumors Only Grow pt 2

"Kara, you look gorgeous," Lena breathed, taking in the sight of her date.

Kara stood in her apartment in a shiny silver dress with the back cut out that flared out at her waist and cut off halfway to her knees. Her hair was piled on top of her head in a messy updo. She blushed, twirling a couple times and laughing as her dress puffed out around her.

"So d'you. Emerald is definitely your color," Kara returned shyly once she stopped spinning, noticing how soft the fabric of Lena's long gown looked.

"Ready to go?" Lena asked.

Kara nodded, flushing when she realized that she's been staring. Lena held out her hand, which Kara gladly took, and the two climbed into the car waiting outside to take them to the gala. On the ride over, Kara got an alert on her phone about Clay's article.

"The CatCo article about my love life is up, if you want to read it," she told Lena, passing her the phone. "Let me know what the damage is."

After a few minutes, Lena said, "Well, he starts off by quoting Supergirl, writes the first paragraph about why she was in your apartment, and writes the second about how important you both feel your friendship is."

"And why does he say she was in my apartment?"

"He says, 'To save her friend from her thoughts, Supergirl took it upon herself to provide pleasant company. Danvers admits that she had been stressed about some kind of relationship with another person, though she didn't specify who or if there was romantic intent, although that was heavily implied.' He doesn't say anything explicit about you guys sleeping together, but he doesn't deny anything either."

Kara sighed. "Well, I guess it could've been worse."

"Yeah..." Lena fidgeted uncomfortably in her seat.

"What? What are you not telling me? Give me that!" Kara jerked the phone from Lena's hand and saw that she had scrolled to the comments section. "They think that I dumped Supergirl for you! And now we're going to this gala together!"

"Try not to let it ruin your night," Lena said tentatively, rubbing Kara's tense shoulders. "Who cares what people think."

"Me!" Kara cried. "I care! Way too much, actually."

"Kara, sweetie, calm down."

Lena's began to rub her bare back. Her fingers trailed Kara's backbone, sending chills down her spine. Kara leaned her head on Lena's shoulder, and Lena put her arm around the nervous reporter.

"Wait, no," Kara protested half-heartedly. "Keep rubbing my back like that. It felt nice."

Lena smiled and complied. Kara let out another sigh, but this one was content rather than defeated. She snuggled up to Lena. Feeling the slick silk of Lena's dress on her skin, Kara noticed that Lena's dress was, in fact, extremely soft. When the car pulled up in front of the party, neither of them wanted to leave. After some persuading from the driver, Lena reluctantly stepped out into bright lights. Kara soon joined her and took her hand, leaving as little space between them as she can.

"People are staring," she commented, adjusting her glasses nervously.

"Let them stare," Lena answered.

She placed a gentle kiss on the Kara's lips and smirked at the guests nearby, including a rather disgusted looking elderly woman, who Lena immaturely stuck her tongue out at. Kara could feel her face going red. To make matters worse, she stumbled over her own feet and almost crashed head first into James. Luckily, Lena was there to catch her.

"Look who we have here," Lena began. "It's the new Mr. CatCo."

James turned around smiling, but when he saw Kara, his jaw went slack, and his eyes practically popped out of his skull. Lena must've noticed his change in attitude because she pulled Kara closer to her until they were standing hip to hip.

"W-wow, Kara," he stuttered. "You look... beautiful."

"Thanks," the Kryptonian blushed. "You look nice, too."

Lena smirked. "Yes, gorgeous. She's so gorgeous," she said and pulled Kara in for a long, drawn out kiss.

When Kara pulled back, she couldn't help but wonder, was Lena jealous? She kind of liked it... and she hated that. Lena pressed her hand against Kara's bare back and leaned into the blonde's side. Kara grinned. She might as well enjoy jealous Lena. It wasn't like she had asked for this, so there was no need to feel guilty about liking the extra physical contact. James cleared his throat and walked away, and Lena didn't let any space exist between them until he was gone.

A couple of hours later, the two girls were on the dance floor with light hearts and happy smiles. Kara could see why Lena said these parties were dull. Without Lena, she would have been bored out of her mind. However, they had spent the entire time dancing, eating, and laughing at the stuck up, snobby rich people around them, and, as long as she had Lena by her side, Kara was having the time of her life. James did cut in once for a dance with Kara, which lasted for the five minutes when Lena was in the bathroom. As soon as Lena saw what was going on, she had her hands on Kara's waist and was spinning her in the opposite direction, prompting a burst of giggles on Kara's part and a frustrated sigh from James.

By the end of the night, both women stumbled into the car with aching feet. They had been photographed kissing, dancing, feeding each other, and probably in many other positions that made it obvious that they were dating, but neither of them seemed to care. Sure, Lena had now been branded "The Woman Who Was Worth More Than Supergirl," and, sure, tomorrow they would face flying rumours and some kind of press debacle directed towards CatCo and L-Corp, but, as Lena held Kara in her arms, Kara felt she could speak for both of them when thought, I couldn't be bothered by what anyone else has to say. Nothing could ruin this moment.