Supercorp Proposal pt 2

Lena's POV

Lena couldn't keep the grin off of her face as she tried to collect her thoughts and get back to work. Alex had said yes, and she was happier than she had ever thought possible, all thanks to Kara Danvers. She planned to go shopping for engagement rings right after work that day. She was glad that she had such a habit of working late because her staying at the office until well after closing hours wouldn't arouse any suspicion in Kara.

Somehow, Lena managed to get through some reports on her company's financial situation before rushing out the door and down to the jeweler's shop. Almost as soon as she stepped through the doors, she got a text from Alex.

She's really taken a liking to emeralds since you two got together. I think it's because of your eyes ;)

Lena could feel herself blushing even though she was alone. She looked up from her phone to find an awestruck sales attendant standing in front of her, who cleared her throat.

"H-hello, Miss Luthor. It's so nice to meet you. I'm Carly. W-what brings you to this- uh, I mean, our little shop?"

The girl in front of her couldn't be more than seventeen. This was likely a part time job. Lena tried to maintain her dignified CEO air without seeming too threatening.

"Don't look so startled, I'm just here to buy an engagement ring."

"I'm sorry, Miss Luthor, I don't mean to seem startled, it's just that you're, well, you're pretty much the most powerful woman in National City."

"Pretty much?" Lena cocked an eyebrow and smiled to herself when she remembered how insane it seemed to drive Kara when she did that.

"Some could argue that Cat Grant is more powerful, but I'm of the opinion that you win out."

Lena found herself thinking of Kara again. She also believed that she had won out. Hadn't Cat wanted Kara, too? And who had ended up with her? Who was going to get the chance to propose to her? God, Lena hoped she would say yes.

"Wait, did you say you were here to buy an engagement ring?" the sales attendant asked, scattering Lena's thoughts.

Lena nodded, unable to hide the gleam in her eye. She hoped that her giddiness didn't make her lose any of her poise, but she was sure that it made her seem just a little more approachable.

"Might I ask for whom?" the sales attendant pried.

"If you must know, Kara Danvers, my long time girlfriend, although I'm sure you could've guessed that."

The girl looked like she was about to burst. Lena could see an excited squeal building up inside her. She gave the teenager a questioning glance.

"I'm sorry, Miss Luthor, this is so unprofessional, but, um, one of my ships just sailed." Lena decided to feign ignorance. "See," the girl continued. "There's this thing called shipping, which means you want two people to end up together, and I've followed you and Kara's relationship on social media. Not in like a creepy way! At least, I don't think so..."

"So, what you're saying," Lena interrupted, "is that you think Kara and I make a cute couple, so we're one of your ships? Are we your OTP? Even higher on the list than Castiel and Dean from Supernatural? I'm very attentive, Carly. I can see your necklace with the angel wings, the dagger, and the star charm. Don't look so embarrassed, I'm pretty sure all of us fangirls ship them, and please, don't give me that slack jawed look. I don't know why people are always so surprised to find out that I'm a huge geek, I don't exactly hide it. Now, engagement rings? I'd like something with an emerald, preferably set in silver, not too flashy because Kara's not that type."

"R-right this way, Miss Luthor," the girl stuttered, leading Lena over to a display case.

"Call me Lena, please. I have to deal with 'Miss Luthor' this and 'Miss Luthor' that all day."

"Um, ok, Miss... Lena. We have square cut and round cut emeralds. Which would you prefer?"
Lena didn't take long picking out a ring, and soon her choice was being bagged carefully by Carly, who still looked a little flustered. Lena smirked. It was funny how people never seemed to see her as a geek, or a dork, or even a regular person. She gave the teenage girl a warm smile as she swiped her credit card and took her bag.

"Thank you for all your help."

"It was no problem, Lena, really. Would you mind, um, signing my copy of CatCo magazine, the one with you on the cover spread? I have it in the back. I'm really impressed with all of the work you're doing and the things you've managed to accomplish with your company. It's also nice to have such a successful woman be gay, from the point of view of a queer kid."

"I would love to sign it," Lena answered, seeing a wonderful opportunity to freak Carly out one last time.

To my friend, Carly, she wrote. I like your shoelaces. XO, Lena Luthor, CEO of L-Corp.

She handed it back. Carly gasped which caused Lena to chuckle to herself. She turned on her heels and strolled amiably out the door.

"THANK YOU I STOLE THEM FROM THE PRESIDENT!" Carly shouted, prompting even more giggles from Lena.

Today had been a good day. She could only hope that Saturday would bring the same, actually more, happiness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The day was all planned out: Kara and Lena were going to take Merc for a walk in the park and then have a picnic. Considering Kara had insisted on packing it, there was bound to be a ton of food. The wooden handle to the picnic basket seemed very strained, but Kara carried it easily due to her super strength.

The weather was perfect for Kara, and the sunshine helped to increase the angelic glow that she always seemed to give off. Personally, Lena preferred stormy skies and the smell of rain falling upon earth, but Kara was afraid of the thunder and lightning, and this was perfect picnic weather, so Lena was glad for the lovely day. She nervously played with the ring in the pocket of her oversized sweatshirt. Well, it wasn't her sweatshirt, it was Kara's, but they had a habit of sharing clothes.

Kara practically threw the little basket onto the ground when they reached the top of the large grassy hill they were climbing, and she immediately proceeded to roll down it. Merc launched himself out of Lena's arms and chased the sunny woman down the hill. She stood up after reaching the bottom and flew back to Lena's side, panting heavily.

Kara looked so beautiful, with blue eyes that matched the sky around her, her golden locks intertwined with the reds and yellows of freshly fallen autumn leaves, and her pink lips stretched into that permanent grin that she always seemed to have on her face. Lena knew that, at that moment, she just had to kiss her. Kara grinned into the kiss, another thing that was just so very Kara.

They ate the food Kara brought: grapes and orange slices and cheese and crackers and peanut butter sandwiches cut into little triangles. Kara called it picnic food. Then, they played fetch with Merc, throwing his favorite neon green ball, which Lena had bought him. After a few throws, Lena discreetly attached the ring to Merc's collar, threw the ball, and sent him sprinting back over to Kara with Lena trailing behind. Kara bent down to take the ball and noticed the glinting silver on his collar, a stark contrast to the gold of his nameplate. She pulled off the ring, and Lena was already on one knee. This was it:

"Kara Danvers, I love you more than I have ever loved anyone in my life, and I want to be with you forever. Will you marry me?"