Chapter 8

Ashton drove to an apartment building. It was close to his brother’s house. He pulled up to the building. He hadn’t gotten a chance to see the apartment yet. He parked the car in the parking lot and grabbed the clothes they had gotten. Alison had fallen asleep the second they pulled out of peter’s driveway.

Ashton went to the front desk and got the keys. When he went to put their stuff in the apartment, he got a very familiar feeling. Ashton ran back to the car for Alison. He found her sitting on the concrete parking lot with her arms wrapped around herself. There were three men around her. Ashton ran up to them. Ashton saw red! How dare they hurt my Ali? He thought.

Without stopping, he punched the biggest of the three guys. He heard a reassuring crack, and he man fell back. Ashton saw one come rushing up to him, while the last one was holding Ali. He quickly punched his stomach and kneed head. The last of the three men let Ali go and ran away. As much as he wanted to kill them, he noticed that Ali needed him more.

Ashton picked Alison up, and she wrapped her arms around him. He took her into the apartment, and tightly shut the door. He sat beside her on the couch and let her ruin his shirt.

When she finally fell asleep, he tucked her into bed. Ashton felt terrible for leaving her alone when she was asleep. He felt that it was entirely his fault.

Ashton spent the entire night cleaning and setting up the apartment, to keep his mind off the earlier event. He re-arranged the furniture and set up the TV. He cleaned the bathroom and fixed up the kitchen. By the time Alison who up, the place looked like it was never abandoned.

Ashton made Ali breakfast and showed her around the apartment.

“You did all of this by yourself?” she asked sounding surprised.

“Um… yea, I did. Why?” he asked confused.

“Wow, it looks amazing!”

“Well, thank you! I tried!” he smiled.

Alison laughed, “You have good taste, most of the time!”

“Hey! I’m amazing, ALL of the time,” he stuck his tongue out at her.

“Okay, whatever helps you sleep at night?”

“I don’t,” he laughed.

“When did you do this? We just got here!” she questioned.

“Well you were asleep for quite a few hours, so…”

Alison chuckled, “Oh yea! I forgot you weren’t human.” She continued obvious to his reaction, “You’re a ghost,” she joked.

Then it hit him. Ashton wasn’t human and he forgot too. He was an angel, and he was in love with her. It hurt him to think that they can’t be together. I need to stay away, he thought. He knew that wasn’t possible, but he couldn’t risk her falling for him too. It would only hurt her in the end, and he couldn’t stand to see her in any type of pain, especially if it’s his fault.

”Go fix up the room,” he ordered coldly before he walked away. He didn’t want to see her face. He had to get away.

Alison went to re-arrange and clean the bedroom. When she was done, they went out for lunch. Ashton noticed Ali didn’t eat much. He forced himself not to care, but even he knew that wasn’t possible.

After lunch, Ali and Ash went and got some necessities for their apartment. They also need some groceries since they didn’t have much food left. After getting groceries, Ashton followed Ali as she picked plates, glasses and cutlery for the kitchen. Ashton only spoke when she asked for an opinion or when she asked him a question.

Ashton got Alison dinner before they decided they were done with the shopping. While eating dinner, Ashton noticed something on Ali’s hand, “What’s that?” he asked.

She showed him a ring, “It’s my family ring. My grandpa gave it to me. My grandparents only had one son, who had two daughters, and since I’m the oldest, he gave it to me saying that unless I get a brother, it’s mine.” She smiled.

They put all the stuff they had bought where it was supposed to go. Alison set up the kitchen, while Ashton did the rest. Once they were done, they sat in on the couch and Ashton turned the TV on. Ali took her family picture out of her wallet, and put it into a mini frame she had gotten. “Ash, I miss my family,” Ali told him when they had finished.

I’m sorry Ali, he thought, but he couldn’t say that out loud. “I can’t do anything about it. You can’t call them from here. It’s dangerous,” Ashton replied, “Can I see that picture?”

“Why do they want me? Why am I so important?” she asked, handing him the picture frame.

“You look nothing like your family,” he said thoughtfully, almost to himself.

“Yea, I know I don’t,” she said dismissively.

“Hmm, I’m going to look into this,” he said taking out a palm sized device that looked like a smaller version of an I-pod touch.

“What’s that?”

“Oh, it’s a device, called an Engeny that pretty much answers questions. It’s like a more-reliable Google.”

“So, how does it work?”

“Well you’re just about to see,” he told her as he set it down on the table in front of them. Automatically, a screen virtually popped up.

“It looks like those projections your see in all these Sci-fi movies,” Ash heard her say in amazement.

Ashton chuckled. He quickly started researching her family.

After 5 minutes of searching, Alison had stood up and walked into the kitchen.

“You want Ice-cream?” he heard her say, or more like yell.

“No,” Ash said back.

Ashton had told her he can eat food if he wants to during lunch that day.

A few minutes later, Ashton found exactly what he had been looking for.

Just as he was about to call Alison, he heard the sound of glass breaking right behind him. Ashton turned around; however he didn’t see anyone there. Then Ashton was scared.

“Ali!” he called, but Alison didn’t answer. He stood and ran to the kitchen, but she wasn’t there.

Ashton decided to check in the bedroom. As he was running back through the living room, he saw her on the floor behind the couch he was sitting on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

please let me know what you think!