escape

"this isn't working."

she told him as they ate. he just looked at her and smiled weakly.

"yeah."

she met his gaze and tried reading his eyes. they were tired and beat. and she wanted nothing more than to take him into her arms and comfort him. she wanted to rock him to sleep.

but she needs to do this.

"we can't keep being like this, rj."

"i know. you keep telling me."

"everytime something good happens, people are quick to ruin it."

"and everytime, i try to shield you from them, but i suppose that was never enough."

a tear escaped her eye as he continued staring at her. she quickly wiped it off.

"it's only been months, meng. i thought we were stronger than anything else thrown at us."

"I thought i could handle it. but i couldn't..."

he stood up and knelt before her.

"tell me what i need to do. tell me what else you need from me. tell me that we can still make this work."

she held his face in her hands. she looked at him ever so gently.

"i love you. you know that, right?" 

"and i love you more. always."

"then let's escape. just the two of us. please, rj. please, come away with me. i can't stand seeing you tire yourself out for those ungrateful sons of bitches who just milk you. i need you to escape with me. get lost with me. please..."

he kissed her with all the urgency that he has been holding back. he kissed her so hard, marking her lips with his permanently. and she kissed back with equal might.

they stopped for air, foreheads still touching. he smiled at her, eyes closed.

"where do you want to go, mrs. faulkerson?"

she smiled at him, her heart at peace.

"somewhere we can raise our kid peacefully."

he looked at her, puzzled. she took out a sonogram.

"happy birthday, mr. faulkerson. i'm three months pregnant."