keso

"mahal! mahal! MAHAL!"

"ano?! bakit? ok ka lang? may nangyari ba sa yo?!"

"ang mahal ng bulaklak, grabe...aray naman!"

"ikaw talaga, tigilan mo nga ko! akala ko naman tinatawag mo ako!"

"ay sorry mahal, hehe."

"hmp. o, asan na yung bulaklak ko?"

"ha? anong bulaklak? sabi ko lang MAHAL ang bulaklak."

"hindi mo ako ibinili?"

"mahal nga sabi!"

"ah ganon? hindi ako worth ibili ng mahal na bulaklak? GANON?'"

RJ looked at Meng with confused eyes.

"nagpapabili ka ba ng bulaklak? di ba nababaduyan ka sa mga nagbibigay ng bulaklak? sabi mo nga ang keso masyado, and cheese gives you gas. bakit hinahanapan mo kasi ng bulaklak?"

Tears were welling up in her eyes. Sure, she did say that, but she was somehow wishing that RJ, for the three years they've been together, would somehow get a hint that she still wanted flowers.

"fine. eh di keso nga. huwag mo ako ibili. huwag mo na ako ibili ng bulaklak kahit kailan!"

Meng turns around and walks away fast. Only to bump into someone, holding out a box of chocolates with her name on it.

"ano to?!"

She takes the chocolate and walks on. She's met again by another person holding out balloons. Again with her name on them.

"uhm..."

She continues to walk, looking silly holding balloons and chocolates, all the while crying. Somebody stops her and hands her a handkerchief. She takes it and wipes the tears and snot already coming out.

As she walks she realizes that there's a long line of people holding out stuff to her - a stuffed toy, a book she has been wanting to buy, a journal she saw last week, an adorable key chain that she noticed when she and RJ went to the mall. All sorts of knick-knacks that she remembers seeing and gushing over on the past weeks.

She was last handed a cheese triangle.

"huh? cheese?"

She felt someone grab her arm and turn her around. RJ was there, holding out a queso de bola, with a piece missing.

"RJ! ano to?!"

"sabi mo sobrang cheesy yung binibigyan ng bulaklak. so, eto, cheese na lang ang ibibigay ko sa yo."

"eeehhhh!"

"teka naman, huy. makinig ka muna kasi!"

She looked at her boyfriend, a little disappointed but still amused, and she can't help but feel a little giddy.

"yung isang piraso na yun, tanggapin mo naman, kasi ikaw yung bubuo dito sa malaki kong keso."

She can't help but smile at him. She took the cheese triangle and inserted it in the queso de bola that he was holding.

"happy valentines day Meng. i love you, alam mo yan."

"i love you back RJ. pero... i was kinda wishing na may pabulaklak ka pa din..."

"Mahal nga eh. pero mas mahal naman kita, kaya..."

He took out a long stemmed rose from his back and gave it to her. She can't help but giggle.

"eeehhh, ang keso nga!"