contract

She reads her contract, and then looks at him by her side

She reads her contract, and then looks at him by her side. He was also going over his contract. She felt uncomfortable, and senses that RJ was also mulling over the conditions written on the document.

The lawyer clears his throat before he speaks.

"This contract is for three years. By signing on the document, both of you agree that you will keep your relationship within what is expected of you as specified in Articles 3, 4 and 5. You are allowed to touch each other in public, but only within the exposed extremities of the body, meaning hands, arms, legs and feet. Thighs are not to be touched, as this creates a scenario of intimacy for the audience. You are not to speak to each other within 3-5 hours after you are seen on TV. You will not post any provocative statements on social media. You are not allowed to utter the word LOVE in public. Especially when you are together. Other details are found in the document, feel free to read through it. Once you've gone over the whole contract, sign the designated space for your names, and just leave it on the table. Any questions?"

She was trembling with anger. She sees RJ's hands holding the contract tightly, almost crushing it. She touched his arm to calm him.

"Uhm, Ms. Mendoza, the document says touching is not allowed..."

"We haven't signed anything yet!"

The lawyer was surprised at her sudden outburst. She couldn't contain it anymore, she was too mad about it. RJ looked at her, eyes imploring.

"Maine, it's three years...I don't know if I can last that long..."

Her tears flowed finally, and he hugged her close. He rubs her back ever so gently, calming her.

"I don't know RJ...why are they doing this to us? Haven't they milked us enough already?"

He lifts her head, touching her cheeks to look closely into her eyes. The lawyer coughs loudly.

"Uhm, Mr. Faulkerson... some distance please..."

"You heard her earlier, WE HAVE NOT SIGNED ANYTHING YET!"

The lawyer backs away and just stood in a corner. It is useless to intervene this gentle moment in front of him, and he knows that both of them are suffering.

In a bizarre network decision, they will remain as a loveteam, but they will never entertain any real relationship behind the camera. It will be all for the audience, and they will abide by network protocol on loveteam promotions. The network claims that it is for the sake of endorsements, and that any true relationship between the pair in a loveteam will damage their image.

The lawyer finds it absurd, but he is paid by the network to draw contracts and not to give his opinion. He looks at the two people in front of him. He admires this pair, this loveteam, and he knows that their relationship is as real as the sun rises everyday. He cannot understand why the network sees it damaging. But of course, his salary is paid by the network, and it is his duty to ensure that the contracts he draws for the talents are carried through.

That is why he came up with a clause in the contract, unbeknownst to this pair, and to the network.

He clears his voice before he calls their attention.

"Ms. Mendoza, Mr. Faulkerson, I ask you to please read your contracts again very carefully. On the last provision, it clearly states that prior to termination of the contract, within a maximum of thirty days before the end of the third year, the loveteam may disclose any information that has been withheld within the contract period, if it is so much as unavoidable, and if it will provide enough evidence whereof to justify the termination of the contract at an earlier period. Further, the damage caused by the said contract on the Signee, be it emotionally, physically or spiritually, may be filed in court as to demand for remuneration equivalent to the number of years that the contract has taken effect."

Both of them looked at the lawyer quizzically, confused at his lawyer speak. He just laughed at them and shook his head a bit.

"Three years of suffering, to hide your real relationship, will give you the satisfaction and happiness you both deserve in the end. Just trust in yourselves. I assure you both that I will ensure that this contract will be brought to completion."

He held out pens for both of them. RJ and Maine are both smiling now.