choices

i will always choose you

he said he needed to search for something. he wanted to go on an adventure, to go away to places that i never imagine existed. he was always one to challenge himself. to test his strength, to throw caution to the wind. he finds pleasure in bitter-sweet pain, like how coffee strikes you when taken hot. the euphoria of going to great lengths to make him feel alive.

i offered him a less dangerous path. i was afraid for him. i wanted him safe, i wanted him with me. i told him of adventures that will calm his soul, that will offer introspection. i told him that he could still get the same kind of high even without the danger. soothing him, cleansing him.

he left, and i was close to admitting defeat. as much as i wanted him near me, i cannot hold him back from what his gut tells him to do.

he left me, and i held on to thoughts that he will return. whatever he chooses, he will still return.

i was beginning to lose hope. i wanted to give up.

then he came back, looking at me with longing, his eyes dark yet soulful. he had been away for God knows how long, and i was afraid that he will not find his way back.

i will always choose you.

i have tried all options, everything that you said. i went to great lengths to discover myself, to test how far i could go.

but none of it mattered in the end, because you were not there. you let me go on my own, even if it meant the possibility of not coming back. and i was too selfish to believe that it's for the best.

yet i kept looking for you wherever i go. whether it was the strongest challenge that i faced or the calmest whisper of meditation that i did, i always come back to thoughts of you.

my options became empty, because you were not part of it.

i will always choose you.

i looked at him lovingly, tearfully.

he chose me.