29

'You'll never make it happen unless you take that one step' - Carter

I read and re read that all morning. I honestly don't remember when Carter signed my cast. I remember when Jake helped Amanda sign it. It almost brought tears to my eyes. I've watched him with his nephew. He's gentle and kind with Noah. I never thought he would be like that to another kid. I honestly need to put more faith in him.

After all I do like him. I guess you could say the way he was with Amanda just made me like him more. I continued to stare down at my cast. Something in silver writing caught my eye. 'Jake <3 you' was written. He didn't write I love you and I'm glad. He's said it before but I just can't say it back to him just yet.

I turned my head to the left, so I could see him. He was in the same spot he was last night, sleeping on the chair.

"Morning sis" I turned my attention away from Jake to see Flynn stretch and sat up.

"Morning. How long have you been awake?" I asked him.

"Just got up. I'm hungry." He laughed.

"Go get something to eat. And while you're at it bring me something too"

"Will do" He walked over to Jake, grabbing his jacket, digging through the the pockets. When he was done he pulled out a set of keys and put the jacket back down next to Jake. "Tell him I took his car."

"Of course" I watched him leave the room before I closed my eyes again.

***

"I bring food and when I come back she's asleep"

"No I'm not" I laughed and sat up. Flynn was standing by the door with bags of food in his hand and Jake was still sitting in the chair next to me, but this time on the right side.

"Morning beautiful" Jake smiled.

"I was awake before you"

"I know, but you fell back asleep"

"Lets eat!" Flynn shouted shutting us up.

****

Five hours passed, it was now three in the afternoon. We spend those hours watching tv and talking. The doctor called Flynn out in the hall for a second leaving Jake and I alone. When Flynn came back in he was smiling. "You get to go home soon"

"When?" I asked excitedly.

"Jon, and dad are on their way here now. Dad has to sign the release papers."

"When will they be here?" I asked.

"Right now!" Jon yelled after he opened the door and stepped into the room, with Noah in his arms.

"Aren't you a little big for your father to be carrying you around?" I asked Noah.

"Yeah" He laughed.

"Noah no more sweets or fats for you anymore you're too big" Jon said seriously.

"C'mon bro, I carry him all the time. He's not that heavy" Jake smiled.

"When you have kids Jake you'll understand what I'm talking about"

"Lets get you home Aidan" Dad said coming into the room with a nurse behind him. Flynn threw my clothes at me, while the nurse unhooked me from the machines. She was young, and pretty. She had her eyes on Jake the whole time, but he wasn't looking in her direction at all. He was staring right at me the whole time with a smile on his face. When I wasn't hooked up to any machines anymore he jumped up and hugged me tightly. The nurse glared at me as she retreated from the room. In return I smiled at waved at her as she left.

"You're cute when you're jealous" Jake said pulling back and smiling.

"I wasn't jealous" I told him honestly.

"Well then you're always cute" I smiled at him.

After I was dressed and ready to we headed for the elevators. But first we had to pass the nurses station. They wanted to put me in a wheelchair but I didn't want to. I've always hated being in those things. So as we walked by the nurses station Jake picked me up and carried me bridal style to the elevators. He didn't put me down until we were at the cars. My dad, Jon, Noah and Flynn got into my dads car, leaving me to get in with Jake in his car. I wasn't complaining and neither was Jake.

The others left while Jake was putting me down in the passenger seat of his chair. Before he could shut the door and walk over to the drivers side to get it, I pulled him down by the shirt, with a smile on my face. He looked at me confused for a moment, but that faded when I crashed my lips to his. Earning a smile into the kiss him.

"We've got a long ride ahead. Better get going before they think we left for Vegas" He laughed pulling back.

"They'll sent out a search party for us" I laughed too, letting go of his shirt so he could stand up. He leaned forward one more time, pecking me on the lips, before he stood up completely and shut the door. Smiling he made his way over to the other side of the car and got in.

After both of us were buckled, he started the car. When we got to the road his hand, that was located on the middle console, turned so that it was palm up. I didn't have to ask what he wanted, I already knew, and I wanted it too. So I placed my not broken hand on top of his. He responded by interlacing his finger with mine. A smiled overtook his face once again, and the same with mine.