Chapter Two: Always a game

The next day Ayla found herself sitting in the corner of the Garrison. All her thoughts flooded into her brain, although she never cried she would still see things she didn't want to remember. with a drink and cigarette in her hand it was easy to forget about the world for a brisk moment.She knew at some point her father would find her and probably kill her himself but she wasn't afraid of death. After the life she had lived death would have been a gift.

Each and every moment of the day she remembered the child she had given birth to a week after her 16th birthday and how she watched her father brutally murder the child in front of her eyes while she was locked in a cage unable to do anything about it. It gave her nightmares on a regular basis. Still no tears fell from her eyes. She also remembered the old woman telling her that until she found her weakness she will be cursed until the end of time.

Ayla had done some research on the Peaky blinders. Asking people about them she had found out some interesting things about them. They stitched razor blades into the peak of their flat caps earning them the name 'Peaky Blinders' they also make their money from illegal betting and the black market, they were notorious for killing anyone who got in they're way. The people of Birmingham feared them accept for Ayla, Ayla had witnessed far worse people than the peaky blinders. At the young age of 19 she had lived a more eventful life than a full grown person.

"Thought anymore about the job opening" the same male voice of Tommy Shelby filled her ears "day dreaming are we?" he asked she shook her head 

"Mr Shelby" She pursed her lips and allowed her eyelids to slowly open and close with annoyance, pushing her thoughts to one side "How nice of you to grace me with your presence" her words filled with sarcasm.

"You must be too busy putting people in arm locks to notice the world is still spinning around you" he smirked returning her attitude as he lit a cigarette, blowing clouds into the air

"I'm glad you admire my work Mr Shelby after all it must be unusual for you to finally meet a woman that could gut you like a fish" She threw him a flirty smile leaning back in her chair

"Indeed, you are very mysterious, but mystery doesn't stay secret for long" he tried to intimidate her.

"I've heard you've done awful things Mr Shelby-" he cut her off

"Call me tommy. " she ignored his remark

"Doesn't it bother you?" he intertwined his fingers listening to her speak

"Does what bother me?" He finally asked

"That no normal woman would ever want to be with a man like yourself?" She could see the anger building in his face

"Who said I needed a woman? There are plenty of women that wish to be sitting where you are right now." he  inhaled a few times leaving the table quiet for a moment. She wasn't bothered by his remark

"So tell me Mr Shelby what kind of woman is it that you're after?" she questioned without fear a smile plastered across her face.A picture of disbelief on his. She had no fear of him which was unusual

"What's with the questions? Do you want to fuck? Is that what this is about?" He stared at her for a moment. She laughs at his stupidity

"One thing you should know about me Mr Shelby, my dignity is still in its place" she crosses her legs. His eyes trail up her thighs stopping at the small knives she kept in her holster

"I can tell we're not so different" he smirked tapping off the ashes into the ash tray before her.

"And how did you come to that conclusion?" both her brows raised as she waited for an answer.

"I can see it in your eyes, the fire burning inside them, hungry for anguish" he said which stunned her.

"Well that's a first" she laughs. She leans in close enough to his ear as her voice turns into a whisper
"normally a chap would tell me my eyes were beautiful and that he's never seen eyes like mine before." She pauses

"And then what?" He waits for a genuine reply she looks up at him square in the face her eyes darting around his face

"Then I would slit his throat because he would get a little too close for comfort" she started toying with him again. A laugh escaped his lips. She finally felt accomplished sitting back in her seat.

"Well I'm glad I didn't compliment you . I would hate too see how you take criticism" he took a sip of his rum a small smile turning at the corner of his lips

"Finally" she smiles at him. He looks up at her with a questioning look on his face. "Finally I've made the infamous Tommy Shelby smile" she throws him another one of her famous smiles. He felt himself getting lost in her dreamy emerald eyes.

"Indeed you did" he admitted. Silence fell between them. She didn't know if it was the right time to tell him her secret and thank him for helping her.

"Ayla." she says out of nowhere puzzling him even more. "That's my name" her face so innocent. He holds out his hand which she gladly takes. His grip was so firm but she didn't mind it.

"Ayla it is. and about that job. I don't think you're right for this place. I'm sure I can find better use for you elsewhere" he finishes his drink in one fair swing

"Elsewhere?" He stood up taking his drink with him. He didn't bother replying to her question which angered her a little.

Tommy didn't want to admit but he felt overprotective towards her. He could tell she was hiding something. It was an unusual feeling he had towards her even though she would piss him off and ask too many questions he couldn't bring himself to hate her.
Little did he know Ayla felt exactly the same towards him. She wanted to tell him how grateful she was and how he rescued her without even realising but she couldn't. He wouldn't look at her the same again if he found out about her past, she couldn't even look at herself the same way.

Later that evening Ayla sat in her newly furnished bedroom. Placing her jewellery box on her oak dresser. She unlocked it with the tiny key she kept under her pillow. The box was filled with her mothers diamonds, rubies, pearls and so much more. She also kept some of the jewellery she had stolen from around the world. What others didn't know was Ayla had become a rather skilled thief, there wasn't anything she couldn't take and you wouldn't even know she was there. This is how she made and kept a fortune enough for her to survive and maybe even invest in the future.As she fell asleep in her small bath tub her mind started wandering once again. The warm sensation of the water burning her skin. The recollection of her child played over and over  in her mind, her heart rate quickened as she found it hard to breathe. Forcing her eyes open little bubbles leaving her nostrils notified her that she was under water. The same nightmare different day.