Chapter Four: Paraded

Woken again from a nightmare Ayla was used to waking up in sweats turning and laying on her back she stared at the stripped ceiling of her bedroom. She felt sticky from sweat under her thin bed sheets. Her eyes darted across the room looking at the long red dress she had hung up the night before.she knew tommy would be here soon so she needed to make a move.Washing her face with cold water and changing into the beautiful gown she had desired to wear since she was a child. Putting on her beautiful accessories and letting her long hair fall in natural curls. She made quite an effort which wasn't something she normally did.

 She made quite an effort which wasn't something she normally did

A beep outside the door made her nervous. she didn't know why she was going with Tommy. she didn't know what she was trying to prove she certainly wasn't doing it for the money she already had enough to live by. Ayla felt a funny way around him, she had never felt anything like it before. Her heels clicking below her as she walked towards the door. Taking a deep breath and opening the door. Tommy tried to keep a straight face, he wanted to tell her stunning she looked and how much he wanted her but he couldn't a Shelby could never show weakness.Helping herself into the car sitting beside him she desperately wanted to hear his opinion on her look.

"Is it just us going to the races?" she asked

"Something like that" he didn't bother looking over at her, he didn't want to make his feelings obvious. The car started again roaring to life and speeding down the road.

When we arrived they didn't use the front entrance which made Ayla slightly suspicious.He kept his hand on her lower back protectively as they walked.

"Are you sure we're allowed in here?" Tommy felt himself bumping into her a few times as they walked

"Well, I prefer to come to the races the back way. It keeps me out of trouble.Tracks are lawless places.I can't stand petty criminals...This way." they turned right. He obviously knew where he was going Ayla could see that he had been her before many times.

"Will we get to lay a bet?" she asked. Uneducated by what Tommy did for a living. She had never gambled in her short life

"No - gambling is for mugs." he smirked at her confused expression which he found adorable "This way You're lucky you're with me or you'd be wasting your money on fixed races." he admitted

"I always wondered, how do you fix a race?" she tried to keep up with him

"How should I know? OK, you do the talking." he said as the sight of a security guard at the other end of the corridor sent her into a state of anxiety

"What?" she whispered/shouted the panic was apparent in her voice

"Tell security you are Lady Sarah Duggan, Lady Sarah Duggan of Connemara.You got lost when you went to look for the boy riding your horse - Dandy Flower.If they ask about me, say I'm Prussian and don't speak a word of English." he said which he had obviously payed a lot of thought into.she furrowed my eyebrows at him