Chapter Twenty Six: Returning home

five weeks had passed since Tom had last seen Ayla. She had gone back to Israel with her uncle to meet her sister and get a better understanding of her past and also to receive her part of the family fortune. She promised she wouldn't be long and that she would return as soon as possible so that they could wed each other. Thomas was making sure everything was perfect for her when she returned, everything had to be in place for her. 

The leader of the peaky blinders had brought his wife to be a mansion in the countryside where they were bound to live after they wed, the gardens were full of different coloured flowers and the grass went on for miles beyond the water fountain he had made out of marble. He couldn't wait to finally become a married man and start a long strong line of Shelby's but more importantly to be with the woman of his dreams. 

"When do you think she'll return?" Polly asked as she put up the new curtains in Thomas's new house, they lightened up the room with a little bit of detail. She could clearly see the lengths he would go too to be with her and make her truly happy but since finding out the truth would she do the same for him?  

"In her letter she said she would be back in a few months, she said she quite enjoyed being there" Thomas took puff of his cigarette, Polly could see the annoyance in his face.He didn't want to be away from her any longer than than he needed to, he had finally had her all to himself but she slipped away again.The thought of Ayla staying in Israel and never returning made his heart ache.

"I'm sure she won't delay, you know how much she loves you Tommy" Polly finished hanging up the curtains before sitting opposite Thomas. She could see the pain in his eyes. He desperately wanted to be around her, Polly had never seen Thomas so lovestruck by a woman he was willing to die for, in fact it had been years since anyone in the whole of Birmingham had felt love the way Thomas was feeling.

"I dont know anymore Pol, she might still be pissed that I kept that from her" Thomas's blue eyes now staring directly into hers

"I doubt-" Polly was cutting off by a knock on the door breaking both of them out of their gaze. Polly quickly rushing to open the door leaving Thomas to dream about the day he would finally marry the now Queen of Turkey.He didn't want to leave his spot in fact he just wanted to curl away in his new house, his new bed and wait for her return.

"Tommy!" Arthur yelled through the hallways grabbing Thomas's attention "We've brought you a house warming gift" Arthur said as Thomas took his time getting to the front door where polly, Arthur and John were waiting with stupid grins on their faces.

He was expecting to see Ayla standing there with her regal green eyes ready to jump into his arms but instead he was face to face with his brothers who were holding a flowerpot with a tiny flower buried in it, it looked like they had stolen it from someones garden. They all thought it was a hilarious joke when Thomas's face began to drop from disappointment.

"How kind of you" He said sarcastically before looking at the giant flowerpot like it was the last thing he wanted to see.

"Was you expecting something else?" John asked like he was hiding something in his eyes the smirk on his face gave it away. John was always the worst at keeping secrets since he was a young kid so the lies in his eyes were the first thing Thomas noticed.

"I was hoping you could tell me" Thomas grinned knowing that John would crumble under a little pressure.

"Well the truth is we brought you two house warming gifts" John smiled at Arthur

"And what would be the second gift?" Thomas raised his eyebrows at his brothers who smiled at each other. 

"Me, if you'll have me" Ayla popped up from behind Arthur who had the biggest grin on his face. Without another thought dashing towards her and embracing her in a hug that he had waited forever for Ayla couldn't help but embrace the man that had saved her one to many times.