Chapter Eleven: Back home

Ayla wrapped her arms around her body, the breeze was colder than she remembered, it would blow every few seconds sending chills down her spine. The streets of small Heath were busy on a Friday night. After all it was payday for most. Men and women piled into the pub with smiles on their faces and what looked like no cares in the world. Ayla wanted to be like that. Desperately. She wanted to be happy with a normal life and a smile on her face 24/7, she had never wished for anything more. 

Punters walking straight past her without helping her up reminded her how cruel the world could be, how everyone was out for themselves and only the strongest would survive. Ayla wasn't sure that she fell into that category anymore.She remembered her daughter and how beautiful she was. She missed her more than anyone could imagine, she felt so lonely and so lost in a place that didn't feel like home. She just wanted a bath, she just wanted a decent night sleep.She wanted Tommy to be beside her. Ayla knew it must have been something Tommy had done to get her out of Chesters hospitality.There was no way Chester would have let her out at his own will.

"Ayla?" A faint female voice rang in her ears. Her mouth dry and her once pink lips pale and cracked, bleeding slightly.

"Grace." Her voice groggy, she tried to swallow but there was no liquid left in her mouth drier than the safari desert she could barely talk.

"Are you alright? Where have you been?Let's get you inside" Grace helped her up careful not to hurt her anymore than she was. Ayla limped into the garrison as she tried not to make eye contact with anyone in there as she leaned her weight against Grace how kindly walked slow enough for her to limp. 

Everyone noticed the state she was in and gasped, they knew it must have been something she couldn't fight as Ayla was one of the greatest fighters they had ever seen, strong and independent able to look after herself. Their eyes glued to her as they stood outside the family room. Grace knocked gracefully on the door before letting herself and Ayla into the little room where the brothers sat waiting anxiously. 

The very sight of Ayla lifted everyone up in the air with panic. Tommy rushed to her side holding her weak pale body in his arms cradling her like he had never done to a woman before. Polly was glad to see her alive but she knew she wasn't in good shape everybody knew but didn't want to admit it.

"She's in even worse state than Arthur" Finn said which earned him glares from everyone around him. 

"We need to get her to a hospital" John spoke the obvious but Ayla scoffed

"Will you guys shut up" Polly shouted grabbing everyone's attention, he took a closer look at her. 

"It's not as bad as it looks, I can clean myself up after a drink and a bath" Ayla tried to sound strong. Thomas helped her sit down fetching her a glass of water which she threw back rather quick.

"No way! You're going to a hospital!" Tommy fought back, he wasn't going to let her out of his sight. He would never let anyone harm her again but he had realised this was the second time he had broken this promise which made him wonder was he fit to be around her anyone?

"There's no need honestly I've been worse, I'm good with a needle" she cracked a smile for the first time in three days. "I just want to go home" she said, her voice filled with pain.

"Get me some Alcohol, a needle, thread and towels" Polly said to Grace. Ayla gave into Polly's mother like friendliness.  Grace brought the things Polly had asked for as quickly as she could she cleaned and stitched up Ayla's cuts as best as she could from her previous experience with the boys. 

"I'm afraid we've decided that you're going to be staying with us. For your own protection. Its not safe for you to be out there on your own" Polly said which angered Ayla. Pushing herself up with as much energy as she could conjure up, her head spinning more than it was before but she pushed through it.