Chapter Thirty: A Big Family

The sound of a baby cooing in the distance made her eyes flutter open. Her eyes were wet and her hair was sticky from sweat sticking to her forehead in crazy patterns. She had no recollection of what just happened but her whole body was aching. The only thing that caught her attention was the sight of her fiancee holding a child wrapped in white blankets, the tiny little hands wrapped around his index finger. The smile on his face was pure happiness something she had never seen in Thomas's eyes. He hadn't been this happy in years according to the rest of the family. The old Thomas Shelby was beginning to peak through the gaps of the hardened man.

"Tommy" her voice croaked. She could barely move a muscle but when Thomas noticed that she had woken the joy in his eyes only widened but slowly turned to worry as he rushed to her side before putting the baby in the cot beside her. His heart beat beating faster than ever before.He had missed her more than she could ever imagine. He wanted to hold her in his arms so badly but they had so much to discuss before they did.

"Ayla! you've been out for weeks. I've been so worried I didn't think I was ever going to see you again, doctors didnt think you or the baby were going to make it" Thomas looked down at the boy with Blonde hair and piercing green eyes similar to his mothers. Ayla was attached to life support machines which had kept her alive during the weeks she was unconscious.

"I don't remember anything" She said as Thomas sat beside her with their newborn child. Her voice and body still weak.

"I passed out at home-" she stopped before looking at him

"That was weeks ago Ayla" Thomas could see the confusion in her eyes. She looked lost more than she had ever been before. He missed her emerald eyes and the way they would sparkle when she looked at him

"Its a boy, we thought we would wait for you to wake up before we named him" Ayla couldn't bring herself to look at the baby for too long but remembered the dream she had before she passed out completely. Tears pouring out of her eyes without any effort.

"I want you to name him" Ayla finally said as she looked into the blue eyes she had fallen in love with. Thomas hesitated before speaking with a smile on his face. Proud of the name he had spent time deciding on.

"Oliver, Oliver Shelby" He smiled which made her tear up. She had suddenly forgotten everything in her past and the unusual feelings she had towards this new baby. Thomas held his wife to be and son in his arms. The happiness had completely swallowed them whole. Thomas Shelby never thought he would be in this situation he never thought he would find a woman willing to put up with this lifestyle or even change the beast of a man.

"What about Sabini and all of that commotion?" Ayla asked but Thomas knew this wasn't the right time of place to talk about business.

"Don't you worry about that Ayla, you need to rest up and we will talk about it when you're feeling better" He kissed the top of her head. The hospital door swung open to reveal the rest of the family.they Shelbys pouring in one after the other.

"Ayla you're awake" Dilara rushed to her sisters side with excitement dripping in her voice grabbing her hand softly and holding it in hers. It has been months since I left felt the touch of someone else's hand.The others followed behind her. The same look was plastered on all of their faces as the sight of Thomas his fiancee and his baby alive and well gave them a sense of home and belonging.

"So what have you named the little pike" Arthur looked at his nephew in awe he resemble Tommy when he was a baby. The shape of his nose and the amount of fuzzy hair on his head.Arthur remembered holding his little brother in his arms for the first time his mother staring at the two brothers in bliss.

"Oliver" Ayla said proudly as Polly engulfed her in a hug which made her bones ache but it didn't bother her. Pain didn't seem to bother her anymore.

"I mean its just a name right" John said with an upset look on his face making the others laugh

"I hope you didnt think they were going to name the baby after you" Arthur laughed earning him a nudge from John in annoyance.

"It would have been nice" John admitted making Thomas laugh at the sight of his family together in one room.

"Maybe the second one" Thomas joked making everyone laugh except Polly and Ayla.

"You're making it sound like having a baby is easy I hope you're prepared for the life parenthood is about to bring the both of you not to mention the fact that Ayla's insides are probably never going to be the same again" she said with a giggle behind her words

"I'm starting to thank God for letting me pass out during this process" Ayla said making everyone in the room laugh at her high spirits. She seemed like a completely different person after the baby.

"Why don't we get Ayla home, she needs all the rest she can get. The nursery has been set up and the maids are there to help but I'm only a phone call away if you need me" Polly assured her

"Thank you" Ayla smiled at her new family members

"Besides theres not long till a huge Shelby wedding aye?" Arthur smiled as Thomas began to blush.

"Thats if Ayla will still have me" Thomas smiled at those precious green eyes

"Of course I would" Their eyes connected for the first time in what seemed like years.

"I'm surprised he didn't marry anyone else while you were out" John said earning him a slap from both Dilara and Arthur

"Ignore him" Dilara scowled at John which made him go quiet. Ayla and Thomas both look at each other knowing exactly how John was feeling about her. It was obvious.

"Let's get you home then love" Thomas began to help Ayla out of the hospital bed she had been laying in for months.they both began to worry how good of parents they were going to become and they knew having a child was going to be a lifelong commitment not to mention the fact that Thomas had many enemies that would undoubtably attack his new found family.