Chapter Twenty Eight: Feuds

A few months had passed Ayla was now six months pregnant she was growing every single day her feet began to ache in her kitten heels and her cravings for chocolate became more apparent, she could almost smell it from a mile away. They never really spoke about the night she came home neither one of them wanting to mention the fact that they were both scared of what was going to happen after the baby was born. Thomas wouldn't leave Ayla out of his sight as his enemies began finding out about his unborn child and the return of his fiancé always keeping a blinder around the house for safety when he wasn't home.

They had postponed the wedding until Ayla had finally given birth which eased her nerves a little taking the weight off her shoulders.Polly would visit almost everyday bringing her all sorts of goodies to eat like her famous apple pie. They would listen to the radio and watch the horses running around in the stables or begin to talk about names for the baby.On the other hand Thomas was always working late, he had a new business contract but wouldn't talk about work with Ayla around. Not wanting to stress her out the closer she got to her due date. 

Ayla hadn't been sleeping well for the past few months, waking up in sweats and tears like she used to her nightmares were becoming more frequent always seeing the same type of dream.Thomas knew something wasn't right with her he could see it in her eyes he knew of this because he saw the same thing when he looked in the mirror. Thomas Shelby was notorious for doing some bad things which made him doubt what kind of father he was going to be. He certainly didn't want to be anything like his own father and would do almost anything to avoid that.

"We have to start thinking about the nursery" Thomas said out of nowhere, a cigarette in his hand and a drink in the other while Ayla sat opposite him reading a book that indulged her looking up from it to talk to him. 

"Polly's been pestering me about that all weekend" She said trying to avoid the conversation her eyes scanning the page of the book.

"I know you're scared but I promise it will turn out alright in the end" Thomas put out his cigarette before sitting beside her. Putting her book down to fully look at him she could see the sparkle in his eyes, the very sparkle that made her fall in love with him in the first place.

"I haven't had a wink of sleep tommy, I'm exhausted. Theres not long till the baby arrives and I have no idea how I'm going to cope" She admitted as she rested her head on his shoulder 

"You'll be fine, the maids will help with anything you need and I'll be around as much as I can" he admitted but this didn't help her feelings towards the baby. The room fell silent for a moment as a knock on the door pulled both of them back to earth. The foot steps of the maid running to open the door was all that could be heard. Small chatter lingered in the house for a moment before Thomas got up to see who it may of been. 

"Ayla!" he called in a monotone voice as she waddled towards the door as fast as she could, her feet had been in pain all day. It had been the first time in hours since she got up to walk. A sight she thought she would never see at her doorstep in the pouring rain.

"Dilara?" Ayla's eyes widened at the state of her sister. She looked like she had been crying for weeks and hadn't received any sleep just like her, her clothes wet and her hair dripping onto her face. Thomas looked at both of the sisters and saw an instant similarity. Dilara was a lot younger than Ayla and you could tell. Her features were more baby like and Ayla was more mature.The same brown locks and piercing green eyes but Dilara had slight hints of blue and grey in hers.

The same brown locks and piercing green eyes but Dilara had slight hints of blue and grey in hers

"I'm sorry I had nowhere else to go" She said as Thomas stood aside letting her in.She fell into Ayla's arms weak and tired. 

"Someone get her a towel" Thomas said to one of the maids who hurriedly did as she was told.

"What happened?, you're freezing" Ayla asked leading her into the front room before the fireplace as Thomas followed shortly behind 

"After you refused the throne uncle Ahaz wanted me to become queen and I wasn't ready, he suggested a marriage" She said but Ayla knew there was more to her story. The maid brought her a towel wrapping it around her shivering body

"A marriage? that doesn't sound like uncle he would never force you to do that" Ayla said as Thomas ushered for the maids to bring some tea. 

"I did something awful..." Dilara trailed off which worried Ayla tears pouring from her sisters eyes. She looked up at Thomas who was looking down at her with a worried look. 

"What happened?" Ayla dared to ask blinking repeatedly

"I killed him" She started to cry into her hands as Ayla didn't know how to reply to the situation. Thomas rubbed her forehead looking for something to say 

"What do you mean killed him?! killed who?"She stood up slightly raising her voice. Thomas was now worried about the well being of his fiancee and baby. 

"The guy he was going to force me to marry" She looked up at her sister

"Who was he?" Thomas asked 

"Darby Sabini. He made a deal with uncle. He wanted an army for protection" Dilara spoke. Ayla saw Thomas flinch at the name her sister had just spoken

"Something you need to tell me?" Ayla began raising her voice at Thomas who was at a loss for words "TOMMY!" She shouted grabbing his attention

"Ayla calm down!" Thomas suggested with a worried tone rubbing his forehead in frustration

"we're supposed to be getting married in a few months and you're keeping secrets from me? who is Sabini?" She asked for the last time. Thomas collapsed in an armchair by the fire

"He's an Italian bookmaker.We attacked his club and now he wants us dead, he killed a blinder and repeatedly tried to kill me. He's also pals with your mate Campbell" Thomas looked up at the now furious Ayla. 

"And you didn't think to tell me any of this?" She bit the inside of her cheek so she wouldn't attack him. 

"You were stressed out as it was I-" she cut him off

"Cut the bullshit Tommy! we're in this together. you told me that yourself and now you're going back on your word so what now?" She asked 

"Well now he's dead the Italians aren't going to be very happy"  Thomas pursed his lips together "Did anyone see you kill him?" Thomas asked Dilara. She shook her head 

"He tried to-" She cut herself off before speaking again "he tried to rape me so I slit his throat" She said calmly. Thomas could now see why they were sisters. 

"The Italians are automatically going to think it had something to do with the Peaky blinders because of your connections with me and King Ahaz" Ayla looked at Thomas with a worried look on his face. He went silent not saying anything in return.  "Tommy this isn't good" Ayla's eyes now glistening with tears at the thought of loosing her newly found fiancee. 

"I'll handle it" Was the last thing he said before heading up to bed