Chapter Three: Invitation

Another day it was. The sun peering through her thin curtains, she laid there for a moment. Her brain was still tired as she didn't retrieve much sleep the night before, waking up every few hours in sweat from what she had seen in her dreams. When she finally decided to get out of bed she changed into this placing her mothers favourite pearls around her neck. She admired her outfit in the tall mirror mounted in her bedroom.Placing the kettle on the stove letting it heat so she could make a cup of tea. She would sit in her silent home drinking tea and smoking a decent cigarette.   

 A knock at the door stunned her

 A knock at the door stunned her. Grabbing her gun and heading slowly towards the door.Hesitantly she looked through the peeping hole. She let out a breath placing the gun on the dining table before opening the door slightly. 

"how did you find me?" the same blue eyes meeting hers again through the slight gap between the door. 

"Don't you know? we practically own the city. We know everythin that goes on around ere" he cracked a smile. 

"right" Ayla says uninterestedly "So how can I help you?" She raised an eyebrow 

"Mind if I come in?" Thomas asked. She looked a the gun on the table then back at tommy. Opening the door letting him through. He was surprised how neat and quite her house was. 

"Were you expecting someone else?" he pointed at the small hand gun laying on the kitchen table.She furrowed her eyebrows at him

"Whats with all the questions?" she places the gun back in her holsters. 

"Do you mind?" He held up his cigarettes. She shook her head "So about that job" he inhaled. She listened to him intently sitting next to him.

"Is it always about business for you Thomas? isn't there anything else that occupies your mind?" she asked. Tommy looked at her for a moment breathing in her beauty. How could a woman so fearless, daring and beautiful at the same time. 

"What else is there to think about?" she shrugs her shoulders.

"I want to take you too the races" He tapped the ashes into an ashtray. She was surprised at his offer.

"Horse races? how is that a job?I think you call that a date" she smirked at him 

"Let me finish" he added. Rolling her eyes at him. 

"Is it Cheltenham,the King will be there." he blew smoke into the air. she followed them with her eyes as they swirled around his head.

"King George?" 

"No." he says plainly 

"King Billy Kimber and all his men." He said but she had never heard of him before 

"And what must I do?" She finally asked. Her eyes scanning his face. His eyes blinking slowly 

"For two pounds, you'll do what I ask you to do." He says. She purses her lips at him

"I want three." She smirks. he's surprised at her level of confidence.He shook his head 

"Fine, I'm sure I'll find a job elsewhere" she crosses her arms with a smirk plastered on her face.He thought for a moment. "If I'm meeting a King, I won't be wearing a cheap dress". He lets out a loud breath 

"How much did you pay for the suit you'll be wearing? its obviously wasn't cheap" 

 "Oh, I don't pay for suits.My suits are on the house or the house burns down." he says with a proud smile. She laughs at his comeback

"So you want me to go looking basic?" she raised her left brow

"What I want makes no difference.It's not me you're dressing up for." he admits. He knew deep down inside that he wanted her to dress up for him but he had a job to finish and that was his main focus. She didn't like his reply 

"You'll forgive me, Mr Shelby, if I indulge a little" she bites the inside of her cheek at the ridiculous look plastered on his face. 

"fine" he finishes his cigarette reaching into this coat pocket and handing her three pounds. Ayla knew she wasn't going to spend that money on a dress. She already had one perfect for the occasion which her mother had worn several times.

"Have you got a particular style, colour, height you want me to wear Mr Shelby?" she played with him a little.  

"Buy something red.To match his handkerchief." he said which took her aback. 

"Whose handkerchief?" She blinked rapidly but he didn't reply. 

"I'll pick you up tomorrow morning. Make sure your ready" he stood up but she stood in his way. 

"You better not parade me like a rag doll. because if thats what you're after I'm not the one for the job" She admits. She wasn't someone who you could use. Tommy knew the intensions of this invitation but he knew he would protect her at all costs. He would never let anything hurt her. 

"You have my protection, you don't have to worry about anything" he tried to walk away but she persisted.  

"Everyone one else may be afraid to tell you what they're thinking but I'm not. You don't scare me Mr Shelby you are simply just a man with a tiny amount of power in a huge world full of men with tons of it" her voice now deadly serious. Their faces were inches apart. He wasn't much taller than her. He could see the words she spoke held some sort of meaning to her 

"sounds like you have experience" He asked again hoping for some sort of entrance into her mind. 

"Oh you have no idea" She teased him. She knew he wanted to know more about her as mystery was dangerous to a man like him but she meant him no harm. 

"Be ready tomorrow!" he says once again ignoring her comment. He didn't want to hurt or upset her. He needed her for tomorrow. The door closed behind him. Ayla liked his presence. each and every time she was around him she felt protected even though she didn't need it.