Chapter 7: Special company

"Alima, did you know my boyfriend had this weird accent before he came to Lagos?  But it's changed now.  How Lagos can influence people up to the way they speak. Also.... " Helen, the secretary to the principal ranted about her rendezvous with her Boyfriend who came from one of the towns of Ekiti state, during lunchtime in the school's Cafeteria. I wish Adesua was here but she had to travel for an emergency on her mother's  side. 

".....so do you have a boyfriend now?" she playfully asked.

Oh?.  I knew our conversation was going to lead to this.  Then I will end up telling her about how I had this romantic getaway with a boyfriend who lives in Paris, and we had the most beautiful moment any couple in love could ever experience. All over again. If only it was true. The only person who knows that I'm a Lone Wolf, is Adesua.

"well, you know,  my boyfriend is still in France an- "

"Oh Pleasseee... Do you think long distance relationships ever work out?" she cuts me off and scoffs.  "let's be realistic. That is not a boyfriend. That is a liability. You need someone like an insurance."

Oooohhhh,  she really believes that I have a boyfriend.

"Do you think he will leave Paris and say he wants to settle in this naija?. My dear date a a guy in this country that will look for you even if you are in the deepest rainforest in Zaria." She chuckled at her last statement.

If only such a guy actually exists.

I was already getting bored of this conversation.

"So. Helen, the new V.P, what is he like?." I needed to know why he looks sort of familiar or at least get to know him and why he only flirts with me?.  I'm Almost becoming the talk amongst the co-workers concerning this. I feel like I might get an headache if I think about it too much.

"The V.P?" she repeated after me.

"Uhmm,  the guy is cool. Pretty young for the position of a V.P. And those SS3 girls are something else.  Imagine one girl decided to make a bet with her friends to seduce him but... " she continued narrating.

Really. Why am I not surprised?. I sort of noticed for the past one month, that some senior girls look at me weirdly when they come to either pay their outstanding fees or register for final exams.

"but... " she continues.  "...its like that guy doesn't even care. He only hangs around you." she squints an eye at me suspiciously. 

I laugh at her suspicion, passing it off as a joke. Haha.  Me and that guy?. He's like a Flower boy in Korean dramas, where all  highschool girls falls for him, puts him on some high pedestal and thinks he can never do any wrong.

I totally can't deal with that.

"Who says you can't fall for him too?" she winks at me.  "and here comes your Prince Charming." she nods at his incoming arrival

What? Not again.

"Hello. Good afternoon ladies..." taking a seat opposite me, beside Helen. I try to force a smile as a response.  "Good Afternoon sir and how's your lunch today?" Helen asks cutely, eyeing the little food container he puts on the table. "Ha.  It's nothing much." he smiles back, opening the container to reveal just four slices of bread and jam.  

Wow?.  This is what he eats for lunch?  I can't laugh.

"Looks like you are eating school's lunch today, that's good." he smiles at me, looking at my almost finished plate of rice and beans.
I look at his food container again. Should I ask? Or maybe he's watching his weight?.  He looks too fit to lose any weight so maybe I shouldn't bother.

"Oh. My babe is calling me. I'm going back to my office while I pick this call."  She stands,picks her drink and phone to leave.  " OK sir and see you around Alima." she winks before leaving the cafeteria.  Really smooth Helen, really smooth.

I face back at Mr V.P and smile which he smiles back picking two slices of bread with jam on them and takes a full bite.

Ugh I feel awkward.

Yep, awkward doesn't really describe how i feel at this moment. It's like thirty beady eyes were watching me waiting for the right moment to tear me into pieces while this sculpture of admiration sits opposite me eating like he's  a model on a diet.  I don't like this at all.  This has to stop.

"Uhm, can I ask you something, Mr. Benjamin?" interrupting his third full bite from the second slice of bread. "why do you.....hangout with 'only' me in school?" I made emphatic gestures on the 'only' so he understands what I'm implying.
He looks at me and smirks. "because I enjoy your company." he takes another bite from his lunch.

Really? Really?  He doesn't feel the death intensifying glares from the students and staff around us?. Mostly....probably at me!. I hate attentions. Mostly unnecessary ones like this.

"Uhmmmm, well, this kinda.... "

"Eh? Are you uncomfortable with me around you? " he cuts me off and YES!.

"No, not really." my voice became small. I feel like I might hurt his ego if I said yes.
Oh and before I forget I need to ask.

"uhm, Mr Benjamin, I would like to confirm another question with you." I began seeing that he is already done with eating and washing it down with a bottle of juice.

"Have we met before? "

He looks at me for a moment when the bell rings indicating that lunchtime was over. "sorry, I have to get back to the office.  Maybe we can talk about your questions another time." he gets up and smiles before leaving.

Well, so much for that. Why did I even ask.  Maybe it's just coincidence or he looks like someone I know. Anyhoo, I should also get back to work. I pack my things from the table, about to head to my office when my way is blocked by three senior girls.

What is this?

"Mshewww. Do you think you are special or what?"

What is going on? .

--------_-----------------------------
A/n: I feel like I'm missing Tayo. Heheehee

Keep reading. Give your comments.
I really appreciate you guys for voting and reading. Thank you. 

Thanks for your time
Love y'all.