Chapter 10: A very Silent Tayo

"Yes mummy,  don't worry I'm good. I'm also eating well." I hastily talked to my mum on the phone. Telling me about all the happenings in Bayelsa and at home. My siblings are looking to enter a good university. 
"Are you seeing a man now? I hope your bad personality hasn't blocked you from any marriage potentials." She is talking about me being a sarcastic, self absorbed brat.  "Mummy that is called a sarcastic personality. And I'm not in Lagos to become a wife material." I roll my eyes. Talking to my mum on the phone can sometimes be a drag. She asks unbearable questions. 

"Mummy I will call you later I'm very busy now." I hastily  cut the call, when she kept on talking about something I couldn't hear. I don't think it's important anyway.

Since it's a sunny Saturday, I should continue with my laundry. The week has been quite hectic and ridiculous in some ways, you know,  those three girls, the V.P hasn't stopped eating lunch with me. I've decided to just give up on it. Who knows, he might get bored soon.

"Let me help you spread those." Tayo lifts my wet laundry to spread on the clothe line. Why is he doing this? Well, we fought. Yep.  We went overboard with each other. 

The quarrel started weirdly after I came back from the club last night, he started saying stuffs like, I was becoming too free and more rude. And I said, why doesn't he just stop being a perverted dog who can't stop chasing after every woman with a hole. And doesn't he have any manners or what did his mother ever teach him about women? He also insulted my lifestyle, said I was childish and I went completely overboard by saying something I guess I shouldn't have said. I'm too bothered to tell you.......
And he looked at me with horror in his eyes. That's was the first time I ever saw him that angry. I thought he was going  to beat me to a pulp and throw me out but he didn't. He just went to his room not looking at my direction, like I didn't exist.  So the fight ended with me being at fault.

I wonder what he is thinking right now and he helping with my clothes? My heart feels heavy. What do I do?.

He was quiet all the while I was doing laundry and now we are done with it, we headed back to our apartment silently. Ugh the silence is sooo heavy.

"Lemme cook breakfast. Yam is all right?" I ask, trying to break the silence and calm my running heart. He nodded in response.

I head to the kitchen, taking a yam from the little store and started cutting. He later came to the kitchen, opening the fridge to get a drink of water. The silence was still there. I was about to open my mouth when he started the conversation.

"So, how has your week been since I wasn't around?" He asks, resting on the kitchen slab watching me. 
"Not bad." my response felt stiff. 

"The doctors' conference was hectic. But it was worth it." he gave a small smile. Soon, the tension between us reduced as we chatted about our week, I told him about my episode with the senior girls, he laughed. I also told him about how the VP hangs around me almost everyday. He didn't smile. "Is he the guy that dropped you here last night?" He's tone was  serious.

"Uhmmmm, yeah. He's a nice guy." I smile to cover the awkwardness that a man dropped me home like we were a couple. Wait, is Tayo....?.

"Why didn't you bring him in? I wanted to meet him." He deadpanned.

What?

"No. I can't.  You know, I was preparing to go out with my friends later, it might take too long and I can't keep my friends waiting at the club since I told them I won't be late." My explanation felt forced.

"OK." He shrugged his shoulders and left  the kitchen.

Guess he hasn't forgiven me. He should have said something to annoy me. Argghhh. He's not making it easy for me.

"Uhmmmm, Tayo, there's no sardine, and I want to cook fish sauce for the yam... " I sheepishly called out. 

"...don't worry I'll go and buy one now." He replied me, with his monotone voice.

I continue cooking the yam and started cutting  the vegetables when the door bell rang. I hear Tayo opening the door. Why is it quiet out there?.

"Ali. You have a visitor." Tayo called out.

Me? Who could it be? I dropped what I was doing with the vegetables and came out to see who it was. Both my  eyes popped when I saw who it was.

The V.P? I mean Benjamin???

"Mr Benjamin." My tone seemed to ask why he was here? And I glanced at Tayo and his face was expressionless. Uhm. How do I explain this.

"Ha. Tayo, this is Mr Benjamin, the V.P of my school. Mr Benjamin, Tayo, my...... " I got stuck on how to tell him that Tayo is my roommate or rather, I'm his tenant. Both sounds weird. What will he think.

"Oh, I didn't know you live with a man?" He asked probably thinking Tayo and I have something going on .
What do I say.  He's my friend? Yeah, that's right. 

"No! he's..... "

"I'm her friend. And I'm going to buy some sardines for breakfast. Please, join us." He cuts me off with such an emotionless tone.

"Nice to meet you. Mr V.P." he finally said and left.

I feel so uneasy. Not because I'm left with Benjamin but with the way Tayo acted. What is up with that attitude? Ugh. I feel offended.

"Your place is pretty nice."

I look over at Benjamin. Why was he here anyway? Is it something important.

Like he knew what I was thinking, "I came because I wanted to take you out." he said in a shy manner that looked cute.

Awww.. I'm speechless.

"I would have called but I wanted to surprise you." He gave me that school boy smile and I smiled back.

"Ok." I responded without thinking again. I feel like a school girl that was just ask out by the popular boy in school. I feel so cheesy. I cant stop blushing.

"I'm  back." Interrupted my flowery moment. I look at Tayo who was already raising an eyebrow at the scene he just saw. He's not going to say something stupid right?

"I will finish cooking. You can go out with him." He gave me a smile. I knew it was fake. What is he up to?

Stop making me feel like I killed you!!!!.

Maybe I shouldn't go out with Benjamin today. I wanted to make break fast in the first place to amend my guilt and now I'm about to escape with a man. I'm so heartless.

"Uh, Mr Benjamin, maybe another time." I chew my words out. I feel sorry that he came to see me on a Saturday to ask me out. Tayo doesn't even take me out. Hmph.

"I guess I will see you on Monday then." I smiled. He smiled back to cover his disappointment. We both looked towards Tayo's direction and he only shrugged his shoulders in response. What's with that nonchalant attitude? Because of you, I feel guilty and I can't go out to have fun.

Was this his own way of tormenting me? Ah, I feel dark clouds on my head.

I say my goodbyes to Benjamin before heading back to the kitchen. I suddenly feel hungry. I flashed a scowl at Tayo to show him my disappointment. He didn't even look at me.

Such an annoying guy.

"You like that kind of guy?"

I face him, still with the disappointment written on my face.

He mockingly snickered leaving the kitchen.

Huh?

What was that about?

-----------------------------------------

A/N: hmm.  What is going on with these three.??
Happy new week.

Let me know what you think?

As always... Thanks for your time.

Love y'all.