Chapter32: A donkey and it's master

Tayo's POV

"How are you today?" I asked one of my favorite patients, Tola, who has been diagnosed with leukemia. How I wish I could save her. Such a brave little girl, even knowing she might die soon, she still holds on and refuses to give up. I really envy that about her.

Keeping my smile, I take a review on her health progress and she smiles back at me, "Doctor Tayo, I've missed you. Why haven't you come to visit me?" she pouted, folding her arms.

"I was really busy. Did you miss me that much?" I playfully pat her head which was covered with a beanie to hide her hair loss. I glance over at the picture beside her bed, a lovely girl with beautiful hair tied up in a bun. 

Still pouting she said,  "Didn't you miss me then?"

"Yes I did." I smiled pulling at her nose.

"How much?"

"This much" I stretched out my arms far apart to show how much I missed her.

"Hahhahaha. You can't miss me that much." She laughed clasping her hands together.

"Huh why?" I play along.

"You're meant to miss me this much..." She  puts a little distance between her two hands. "...because when I die, you definitely can't feel sad. OK?" she warns.

I could only smile in return even though I knew it was going to be tough. She won't be able to handle the treatment anymore, her body will start rejecting the treatment and her health will gradually deteriorate. Such a brave little girl. I can't even imagine the state of mind her parents and family will be in at the moment, knowing she could be gone in the next six months

"Fine, I won't miss you too much then." I finally said. "Let's get you a wig soon because someone is getting a year older..." I try to liven the mood, which worked, because she started playing and asking lots of questions, and like always, least bothered about when she will finally give up her last breath.

Somehow, I know at one point Dammy was brave like this little girl. Even though she didn't want me to see how weak she became. I wish she hadn't tried to push me away or hide it from me. Did she know how hurt I felt?  Knowing about her sickness after her death!!! I would have done everything in my power to save her. But instead she had to waste her life just like that, dying in my arms. 'Why was it that easy for you?' I muttered to myself. 

Alone in my office, thinking about why I feel this way, I feel like I'm back to those days when I was lost, sad n full of hurt and I have been having this feelings for some days. Oh yeah, it all started with that witch Demi coming back. 
The letter, I don't want to read it. I seriously don't want to know what is in it. Suddenly my thoughts find its way to Ali. 

"I am.....going to fall in love with you, no, scratch that. I am in love with you...." her words replayed in my head. She looked like she was ready to implode.

And what did she mean by that last statement?

"....and you better find every possible way to make me undo these feelings."

The more I think about what happened these past week, the less of a conclusion I've been able to come up with. The question is, am I ready to make my heart beat for someone again? And do I really want Ali to stop feeling that way about me? 

Why can't I get her out of my head?

She's really annoying.

*********************************
Later that day...

Alima's POV

Uggghhhhh I can't believe what I did!!!!.

"So.....you told him....You are in love with him." Adesua repeated after I explained everything that happened last week with Benjamin, Demi and Tayo...... Gosh I feel like a donkey.