Chapter 31: Let me be your responsibility.(pt 2)

4 years ago....

"Come here..." Benjamin called, feeling frustrated with me for probably avoiding him since the past week. 

Like seriously. This is my final year in school and I have to study hard. My siblings are still in junior secondary school, My father will soon retire and it will be left to me to take care of the family.  It's too early for me  to be thinking of marriage right?.

"I told you already.  I can't think about it right now.  Let me be done with this exam and we can probably discuss on it." I defended myself. Hoping he understands how this period is important for me. 

"Common,  how long do you want me to wait? We've been dating since you were in 100level and your not young now... 21 is not young oo. " he persuaded. 

"Let me focus on this exam, then we can talk." I stood my ground.

Still frustrated by my answer. He can't just believe that I keep pushing farther away from his proposal. He believes since he is working now he can take care of me.  But I don't want that with him.  Not like I don't want to depend on  him but I just want a kind of responsibility of my own.  I need to work hard for my siblings and my aging father. I can't pour all that on him.

"Then I will talk to your parents. I know they will agree." He concluded.

"what??" Obviously they will agree especially my mother. Ugh!!! Why is he involving them.

"I have decided. Ok?. You can study for exam once we've told your parents. " he felt satisfied now,  that my parents will definitely side with him. I can't let him do this to me.

"Then we should break up." My voice came out flat and unemotional. My announcement obviously was a shock to him as he watched me with disbelief

"You're not serious." He glared at me with so much intensity I thought he was going to hit me.

"I am." I firmly said.

"You want to break us up because I said you should marry me? " he voice shook in anger. 

I turn my face away from him.  I cant deal with this argument. I need to leave. I should let him cool down and maybe talk about it again.

I turn to leave when he suddenly grabbed my hand.

"where do you think you're going?" he looked at me with anger and tears in his eyes. 

"let go." I wince out pain.  He was holding my wrist too tight. I didn't want to shout since we might cause some attention to us. Especially since we were in the open and outside his apartment

"No!  We are going to your parent right now." he dragged me to his car, about to cross the busy road.

"LET GO. " I cried out I successively pulled my hand away which made me to stagger backwards and unknowingly to me I didn't notice the car coming.

Next thing I knew I was on the ground hitting my head first. Unconsciously breathing hard and gasping for air. My vision was getting blurry, I could hear the commotion around me and I think I had someone scream my name. Soon everything went dark.

Now....

"I forgive you." I watch Benjamin who still kept looking at me, surprised.

"It wasn't your fault. I should have looked at the road properly." I said,  feeling a bit sad at the memory.

"No,  I shouldn't have dragged you or forced you to accept my proposal." he shook his head. Still convinced that it was his fault for my accident.