Chapter 53:

"The bastard's been in our house." Draco was fuming, his cheeks reddening with anger. He started pacing the bathroom. "He's been here and if you would have been here when he was...Merlin knows what he would have done to you!"

"Draco. He was here when I was."

Draco whipped his head around to look at me and stopped pacing. "You saw him. And you're just telling me this now? What did that son of a bitch do to you? Are you all right? When-"

I placed my hands on Draco's shoulders. "Draco, breathe. I didn't really see him per se but I saw someone. This morning I was running late and I thought I saw someone in the corner of my eye. I turned to look but no one was there, so I just brushed it off as a trick of the lights or something. But it must have been him. He didn't want us to see him, that's why he waited until he thought we'd both be at work to write the note."

"In the note though, he said he was coming for you. He had the perfect opportunity today so why didn't he take it?"

"I don't know." My hands fell from Draco's shoulders and I turned to look at the note. "But what I want to know is why he would try and contact me?"

"Because the horny bastard wants to get in your pants." Draco said in a dry voice.

I shook my head "It's got to be more than that. I'm hardly the first or the last girl he'll want to have sex with. It's something more personal than that."

I thought about it and my eyes widened.
"No...it couldn't be..."

"What? What are you thinking?"

"What if it was Pierce's family, the Johnsons, that cursed my family all those years ago?"

Draco raised an eyebrow. "Isn't that a bit of a stretch?"

"Not if you think about it. Pierce has had this crazy obsession with me for years. At first I thought it was because of you, that he hated you and thought he'd get back at you for going after me, but that can't be it. For one you said he hardly knew the guy to begin with and now the notes all seemed to be just addressed to me. He's personally against me and I don't know why. I don't know the guy and yet it seems like he's known me for years. It's a hunch but it's the closest we've gotten in two years."

"I guess it's a possibility but if it's true we are majorly screwed. The bastard hates us both. I hardly think he's going to break a curse that'll save my life."

"We could strike a deal with him or something. But we're getting ahead of ourselves. We need to figure out if his family is the family that cursed my all those years ago."

I turned around and hurried downstairs with Draco on my heels.

"Now? Jen, princess, it's almost midnight and we've both got work tomorrow-"

"I won't be able to sleep until I know for sure."
I opened the door to a closet downstairs that I had enchanted so that if either Draco or I opened it it transport us to the secret room in the summer house in Belgium, to anyone else it was an ordinary closet.

I heard Draco sigh behind me as he followed me down into the secret room. "Fine. But I'm helping you."

"You don't have to do that." I tried to argue.

"Yes I do because I won't be able to sleep knowing you're down here by yourself reading yourself into a coma. So where do we start?"

****

The next day Draco and I went to the office having not had a single wink of sleep. We had found nothing, just added another bunch of books to the pile of books we had already read. There were still dozens of books that Dumbledore had down there that we had yet to read. I decided that I would take the day off tomorrow, maybe I'd finally find what I needed to prove that the Johnson family cursed my family all those years ago. The sooner I prove that, the more time I will get to figure out how to convince Pierce to break the curse.