Chapter 60:

~55 days until Jen's 21st birthday~

***Harry's POV***

It had been over a week since Draco's been at work. I've been swinging by his office as well as Jen's and I haven't seen either of them. I was getting worried about them, especially since the last time I had a proper conversation with them was when I told them Pierce had escaped Azkaban.

By lunchtime, my thoughts were so focused on them that I couldn't work. I stood up from my desk, running my hand through my unruly hair. I looked around my office, at the huge stacks of unfinished paperwork and sighed. I wasn't going to get anything done until I talked to them.

I walked out of the office and made my way to the Malfoy residence.

****

Once at their house, I knocked on the door.

No answer.

I kept knocking for a good ten minutes before a very pissed off (and evidently sleep deprived) Draco answered the door.

"Damn it, Potter, take a hint. If someone doesn't answer the door after the first few knocks that means they don't want to talk. So sod off." Draco growled.

"Sorry" I said, sheepishly. "I hadn't seen either you or Jen in over a week and—"

"Well, we're alive." Draco interrupted. "So now you can sleep easy."

Draco went to close to door but I stopped him.

"Wait. Can I talk to you and Jen? I just want to—"

"I'm afraid that's impossible at the moment. Now get off my damn property, Potter."

Draco tried to close the door on me again but I was faster, slipping inside the door before he slammed it shut.

"For fuck's sake, Potter. Get out of my damn house before I personally throw you out."

"What did you mean that it was impossible for me to see Jen? Where is she?"

A million ideas were flooding my mind about what could have possibly happened to Jen and none of them made Draco look good.

"Potter—"

"No, tell me where Jen is! Did something happen to her? Did you hurt her?"

"You're crossing a line, Potter. This isn't your place." Draco's face reddened with anger as he glared down at me (he still had a few inches on me).

"The hell it isn't!" I got in Draco's face, my fierce 'older brother' instinct was kicking in and I was getting really close to punching him in the face. "Jen is my friend and if you hurt her I swear—"

"Jesus! I didn't hurt her!"

"Then where is she?!"

"Gone, okay! She's gone! She left me. Is that what you want to hear?! Are you happy now?!" The anger left Draco's face and his voice cracked.

He slumped down onto the stairs and buried his face in his hands. His shoulders shook as he silently sobbed and I stood in stunned silence. I didn't see that coming. Why would she leave? She loved him! And from what I heard, they went through a whole lot of crap to get together. She wouldn't throw that away for nothing.

I sat down next to Draco, feeling like a complete tosser. I had no idea what had happened and I had exploded at him, but now I could see how completely gutted he was. I still had so many questions, though, I didn't know what to say. I've only seen Draco this upset and vulnerable once in my entire life and we ended up in a duel.