Chapter 22:

***Draco's POV***

I was walking towards the doors that led outside because I was going to meet Jen out by the Black Lake. It's weird that we don't have to hide our relationship anymore, but I knew it wouldn't last. I saw Snape's eyes yesterday, he wasn't going to let me continue it for long. My mission is too important to have any distractions, as he said it.

I wish I didn't even have this mission. Life would be so much easier if I didn't. I might of had a chance to have a future with Jen. But I know if I go through with this mission then she'll never love me. How could she? I stuffed my hands into my pockets, about to walk outside when I heard-

"Mr. Malfoy. May I have a word with you?" I recognized Snape's voice.

I clenched my teeth but didn't turn around. "I'm a little busy now, Professor. Can I take a rain check?"

"Now, Mr. Malfoy." Snape growled.

I rolled my eyes and turned around. "What do you want from me?"

"I see you're dating Miss Jennifer Taylor." 

I crossed my arms. "Yeah, so?"

"We've discussed this before. You can't be distracted. This mission needs your full attention."

"She's not a distraction." I hissed.

"Isn't she? When's the last time you've visited the Vanishing Cabinet? Or even thought about the mission."

"I'm in the Room of Requirements all the time." I retorted.

"I know you are. But whenever you're in there you're with her. Does she know about the mission? Oh that's right if she did she wouldn't be with you."

"How are you so sure?" I asked, despite my own assumption on the matter.

"She has secrets too, Draco. It may seem innocent but combined with yours, it will kill you both."

"What do you mean? What's she hiding?"

"Ask her yourself. That's one way to break you two up."

"Why do you want us to break up so bad? I'll get the mission done, just leave her out of this."

"I already warned you. If you don't get rid of her then I'll have no option but to tell the Dark Lord. And you know what he does to distractions."

I clenched my fists and glared at him. "Leave her out of this." I growled.

"Break up with her today. If you really care about her then let her go. It's easier this way, trust me."

"That's the problem, I don't trust you." I hissed.

"Then trust that I'll tell the Dark Lord."

My eyes blazed with anger but I sort of deflated, knowing that he would tell the Dark Lord and he'll kill her. That much is certain.

"Okay." I said so softly that I'm sure that Snape barely heard.

I walked out with Snape behind me. Snape stayed by the doors as I walked over to the spot where Jen and I were meeting. She was sitting on the ground, her back against the tree with a book positioned on her knees. I slowed my walk just to look at her longer.

The setting sun reflected on her hair, giving her multi-colored hair an orange tint. Her hair fell around her face as she leaned her head down to look at her book. Her eyelashes brushed against her cheekbones and a small smile played on her lips. My hands started to shake and I had to clench them into fists in my pockets to get them to stop. Jen heard me coming and she looked up at me. She smiled wide and stood up.

"Hey, Draco." She smiled and hugged me.

I melted into her arms and hugged her harder than I had meant to. This is was probably going to be the last time I hugged her, so I made it last. I buried my face in her neck and breathed her in, she smelled the same as I remembered, soap and strawberries. She giggled and kissed my cheek.

"Missed me from those ten minutes you spent away from me?" She teased.

When all I did was hug her tighter she pulled away to look at me. She noticed my sad expression immediately. She cupped my cheeks in her palms and her beautiful hazel eyes boring into mine.

"What's wrong, Draco?" Jen asked with concern.

I looked away from her eyes. I couldn't look her in the eyes when I break up with her.

"I-I...can't be with you anymore." I said, the words tasting like vile in my mouth.

I felt her stiffen under my hands that were on her hips.

"Draco." She whispered. "Draco, please look at me."

I hesitantly looked over and my heart broke. Tears were collected in her eyes and she looked heart broken and confused. Her hands that were on my face fell and she let them hang by her side.

"W-why..." She cleared her throat. "When did you decide this?"

I wanted to drop everything and explain everything to her, despite what Snape told me. But I couldn't be selfish with her. I can't put her in danger. I love her and I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I were the reason that she got hurt. So I have to make this breakup convincing. No matter how much it hurt. I pushed away from her and tried to look smug, but it was hard when I saw how hurt she looked.

"The minute our relationship became public. There's a reason I dated you in secret, because I didn't want to be seen with you." My heart was breaking but I forced myself to continue. "I never loved you."

Jen looked as if she had been slapped. I wanted so badly to hold her tight and tell that I didn't mean any of this, but I couldn't.

"Then why did you date me in the first place?" She asked, her voice holding so much anger and betrayal that I flinched.

"Same reason I'm ever with a girl."

Jen looked at me with disgust. "So that's what you do to every girl? Pretend to love them to get them to bed?"

"My friends bet me that I couldn't get a Ravenclaw to fall in love with me. You were just at the wrong place at the wrong time." It hurt, every lie that came out of my mouth, physically hurt.

Jen took a step back, her face filled with anger but her eyes held so much heart break that I had to look away.

"You...I..." She swallowed. "Everything was an act? Even that thing with Pierce?"

"Everything." No, it's not true I love you, please believe that. I forced myself to look at her. "I always hated Pierce anyway, you just gave me an excuse to beat the shit out of him." It's not true, I almost killed him because he touched you, I love you. "I didn't lie when I thought you were the stupidest Ravenclaw I know." 

Jen's eyes suddenly blazed with fury and she slapped me. "Bastard. I hope you rot in hell."

She walked away from me and I let one tear fall before I wiped it away and turned around. I watched Jen walk inside before turning around and slamming my fist into the tree. My fist made a dent in the tree and I pulled my hand away to see it soaked with blood, but I couldn't feel anything.

I ran my fingers through my hair, getting blood in my white blond hair but I couldn't care less. I felt like screaming, asking Merlin why the Dark Lord had to pick me for this task. Why couldn't he have had someone else do it? Anyone else. Why me? I heard Snape walking over to me but I didn't look at him.

"Good job, Draco. It was necessary." Snape said, and put his hand on my shoulder.

I pushed his hand off my shoulder and growled, "piss off."

I walked away from him and back inside, wanting most of all to have Jen in my arms.