Chapter 29:

I run up the stairs that led to Dumbledore's office and didn't bother knocking, just threw open the door. I saw that Dumbledore was talking to Harry and when I came in they both looked at me. I ran up to my grandfather and threw my arms around him.

"Grandfather, he...oh god, Draco-he, he...Voldemort wants-Draco has to...I can't lose you too." I stumbled on my words as I cried into Dumbledore's chest.

I held onto his robes in tight fists as I breathed in a the familiar smell of lemon drops that had always reminded me of home.

Dumbledore hugged me and quietly shushed me. "I know, honey. I know everything and it's going to be alright."

I shook my head. "You're all I have left. I already lost my father this year...I can't lose you too. We have to run...We can go to our summer house in Belgium. We just have to get you out of here-"

Dumbledore pulled away and placed his hands on my shoulders. "There's no time, honey. Besides, you have to let Draco do this."

I shook my head, tears streaming endlessly down my cheeks. "No. He lied to me, he only pretended to love me to get to you. I'll never forgive him."

My grandfather wiped away my tears. "I know this is hard but he didn't lie to you. He never knew that you were my granddaughter. He really does love you."

"I don't care. If he kills you, I'll never forgive him."

Dumbledore pulled me into his arms and hugged me again. "I'm dying anyway, I got poisoned. So Draco killing me will an act of mercy. The poison is slowly killing me so he's doing me a justice." 

I looked up at my grandfather, not able to believe a word. "N-no. Please don't leave me."

"Honey, I'll never be completely gone. I'll always be with you in your heart and my brother will take good care of you. I love you."

"I love you too." I whimpered into his chest.

I heard someone running up the stairs and Dumbledore pulled away from me.

"You two must hide." Dumbledore said.

I had almost forgotten Harry was there.

"But, sir-" Harry started.

Dumbledore said a few spells and Harry got pulled into a corner of his office and I got pulled into another. Dumbledore trapped me in a cage made by book shelves and froze Harry at the other side of the room. Right as he finished someone came running into the room.

Draco.

***Draco's POV***

I struggled against the immobility spell but it was useless. I had to find Jen and explain that I had no idea. Why hadn't she told me that Dumbledore was her grandfather? Why out of all the people did have to be the one to kill Dumbledore? Why doesn't fate ever let up on us?

Slowly I started to gain feeling in my hand enough that I could reach my wand. I said a spell and I could move again. I ran out of the classroom, dodging spells that were being thrown by deatheaters and students alike. I ran as fast as my legs could carry me and that was surprisingly fast.

The only thought on my mind was I had to get to Jen. I have to explain. I have to get her to forgive me. If she won't forgive me, I don't know what I'll do. Jen is the love of my life and I can't lose her. She means everything to me and I'd die just to keep her happy.

I finally made it to the Griffin statue and breathed the password 'lemon drops.' I bounded up the stairs, two at a time until I finally made it up to his office. I threw open the door to see Dumbledore standing in the middle of the room with his wand pointed. Out of instinct I disarmed him.

"Good evening, Mr. Malfoy." Dumbledore said, calmly.

"Where is she?" I asked, looking around the room, trying to find the beautiful face of the girl I love.

"Jennifer is safe, I assure you."

I looked back at Dumbledore and when I looked into his eyes I could see Jen's eyes. My wand that I had pointed at Dumbledore started to shake. I can't kill him. It'll be like killing Jen. My lip started quivering but I bit down on it.

"She'll never listen will she?" I whispered.

"Jennifer can be quite stubborn at times but she loves you. She'll forgive you eventually."

"So you know that I have to..."

Dumbledore nodded. "Yes. I understand what you have to do."

Dumbledore leaned against the wall and I noticed that his knees were buckling. It made me feel like a coward if I were to kill him at such a vulnerable state. I swallowed.

"So it's true then? You're Jen's grandfather?" I asked, hoping that it wasn't true.

"I am."

"How long have you known?" I whispered.

"About your mission? All year, Mr. Malfoy."

"Then why didn't you stop me?" I asked, out of curiosity but more out of an accusation.

If he had known for so long why wouldn't he stop me? If he stopped me then I wouldn't have to do this. I wouldn't have to hurt Jen. I wouldn't become a murderer. Azkaban would be better than this. The only reason I even considered killing Dumbledore was to save my mother. My father was in Azkaban himself, leaving my mother and I vulnerable. 

"Because I knew if Lord Voldemort knew I had suspected you then he would have killed you." Dumbledore said, sliding further down the wall.

I knew he was right, that if it were that simple then I wouldn't be here with my wand pointed at my headmaster.

"I can help you, Draco, both your mother and you. The Order will be able to hide you both and Voldemort will never suspect. I'm sorry to say but Lord Voldemort will not be surprised when he learns that you failed at your mission. He expects you to die during this mission so we'll be able to hide you and he'll never suspect you are alive. We'll be able to hide your mother as well if we get her now. You both will be safe."

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. Dumbledore is giving me an out. I won't have to kill him and Jen won't hate me. My mother won't be killed. My mother and I will finally be safe.

I nodded. "Okay. Okay." I started to lower my wand when people came running into the room.

***Jen's POV***

I couldn't see the whole scene from where I was at but I could see parts of it through the cracks between books. I had already tried to scream at Draco but Dumbledore had placed a silencing spell on my 'cage.' I could barely hear them either but it looked like Draco was lowering his wand.

Then more people ran into the room. They were deatheaters. I recognized a few of them. Greyback, Beatrix, and Snape. Beatrix was laughing madly as she circled Draco. She kept whispering the same thing and I read her lips 'kill him, kill him.' Draco looked nervous but he didn't let the others see it. He held his wand steadier and I the only thing that I had heard loud and clear was my grandfather's voice as he said-

"Please."

I looked over at my grandfather, momentarily looking away from Draco. I saw a jet of green light hit Dumbledore and he fell backwards. I screamed as I watched Dumbledore get blasted into the air. Then, like in slow motion, he fell over the railing and down, down, down.