Prologue: We're all Doomed

"Why did you bring me here?" I asked a crazy-looking William Dawson.

I could barely keep up with him as we headed towards the mall, the most popular hangout for kids our age. It was crawling with thirteen-year-olds whom lived nearby and I loved it; all my friends ended up there after school.

"We're going on a date," Will said and I froze in my step. Don't get me wrong - I was passed the "cooties" thing but Will Dawson? Really?

"I'm not going on a date with you." I crossed my arms over my chest and glared at him. He turned to me and stuffed his hands in his pockets, shaking his head to get his sandy brown hair out of his face.

"Yes you are," he sighed, grabbing my hand. I jerked it away and placed it back over my chest with my other hand.

Will gave me the sort of look a parent would give his stubborn child. I only quirked an eyebrow, challenging him and waiting to see what he'd do.

"And just why do you think I would go on a date with you?" I demanded, my squeaky little girl voice rising a few octaves.

"Why not?" He said, a smirk on his face.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes. "You're so full of yourself, Will."

I turned around to begin my trek back to Hannah's, which was only about four blocks or so. Will grabbed the back of my winter coat and twisted me around, right into his chest.

"And you're too stubborn for your own good, Jessa." His chocolate eyes lit up, and at our close proximity, I could see the little details of his iris'. Small specks of hazel and green were sprinkled around them.

I snapped out of it and fought against him, finally getting away from his arms' reach.

"Jessa," Will called when I was halfway to the sidewalk. "Let's make a deal."

At the sound of a challenge, I turned and looked at him. It was the mischief in his eyes that reeled me back in. I began to slowly make my way over to him, giving him a skeptic look.

"What kind of deal?" I asked as I shoved my hands into my pockets.

"Let's go to the Burger Place and get two of their biggest burgers. Whoever eats theirs first, wins," he explained with a satisfied look on his face, that stupid smile playing at his lips.

I narrowed my eyes. "What happens when I win?" I made sure to when instead of if.

"Well," he started. "When I win, you have to go on a date with me. If you win, then you don't have to go on a date with me. Simple."

I thought about it for a few seconds. If I didn't go, he was sure to never let me live it down. If I went, I was sure I'd beat him, but there was always that chance...

So I nodded my head and stuck my hand out for him to shake. "Deal."

Instead of releasing my hand after shaking it, Will held on to it tighter and pulled me along behind him as we ran towards the mall entrance. He didn't let go of my hand as we traveled through the large corridor of the mall. I didn't get a chance to see if anyone could see us because I was too focused on the fact that a psycho was holding my hand.

I never did like Will. He was annoying – always playing tricks on me, and sometimes other girls, but mostly me. I hated it when he dragged me into the trouble he got himself into.

It was all Hannah's fault that I was in that mess. Struggling to keep up with Will as he tugged me along, I cursed my best friend under my breath. Hannah's older brother Tyler came home after school to find Hannah and me setting up our tent like we usually did on Friday nights in her backyard. It was early September, so the weather wasn't completely freezing.

Tyler said he had something for me. Being the naïve 13-year-old I was, I went to the front yard where Tyler said I was needed. That's where I found Will. And that's where I was practically kidnapped. But not really.

We finally reached the Burger Place and sat down at a small table for two.

"What are we getting?" I asked as I picked up a menu.

"Double Decker Supremes," Will replied and I almost choked.

"Those are like the size of my head!"

"A deal's a deal."

I pursed my lips. "Fine."

How bad could it be?

When the burgers were finally placed in front of us, I gasped. There was no way I could possibly fit it in my mouth, let alone consume the whole thing.

"Ready?" Will challenged, grabbing his burger and lifting it to his mouth. I cringed inwardly. He may end up carrying my bloated butt all the way home.

But I was never one to back down from a challenge.

"Ready?"

We both chomped down on our burgers. Will growled at me while making a face. A few pieces of lettuce and bread hung from his mouth and I couldn't help but laugh. As I continued to eat like a wild animal, I imagined my mother's face if she were to see me in that moment, which only made me laugh more.

It took us at least twenty minutes to get half our burgers down. Using cokes to wash each bite down, we were hardcore choking the burgers down. After what felt like an hour, I shoved the last piece in my mouth with a groan. My jaw was beginning to hurt and I couldn't tell then, but my stomach was probably rolling too.

I smiled to myself as Will finally shoved his last piece in to his mouth with a satisfied smile. The only thing was, I had won. So what was he smiling about?

I sucked down the rest of my coke and breathed out a happy sigh. "Looks like I win."

There was no way I'd let him live it down.

"Yeah, I guess so," he sighs, that same satisfied smile plastered on that perfectly freckled face of his. He leaned back in his chair with slight discomfort in his face as he crossed his arms over his stuffed belly.

"Why are you so happy?" I demanded. "You didn't win, so you don't get a date."

He pulled his wallet out of his back pocket and set a ten dollar bill on the table. I wasn't objecting to him paying since he did kind of force me into it. I was still curious as to why his parents allowed a kid like him to carry his own money around. He was the least responsible person I'd ever met.

Will stood up and looked down at me.

"I already got my date."

My face fell flat and I looked blankly at the table.

Still, I jumped up to follow him out of the mall, complaining the entire time about how that was not a date.

Somehow deep down inside I knew I was doomed, and I think he did too.

__________

I hope you enjoyed the prologue to my new story! I have a very busy schedule ahead of me as it is my last year of high school and I'm preparing fro college and I also have a college class now, so I have a lot of work to do. I'll be updating hopefully once a week, but I'll never be as late as two months. If I am, I'll make sure to put a recap at the beginning of the new chapter!

The picture attached is what Hannah and Jessa's tent looks like! Even though it looks more like a teepee...

Thanks so much for reading, I hope you enjoy it!

Get ready for this roller coaster... Jessa's life is pretty exciting... and a little messy!