Chapter 29: New Beginnings

A few months later...

I don't mean for it to happen, but my foot continues to tap on the floor of our foyer as I sit and wait patiently on kitchen chair.

I can feel my annoyance rising as it gets closer to the time and Will's still not here.

"Is he coming?" Mom asks me. I look up at her and smile.

"Yeah, should be any minute. He said that whatever this is, it wouldn't take long." I cringe at the words that text message has in it. He wanted to talk.

I'm not gonna lie, I'm a little freaked out. Why does he have to do this right before our graduation? He just loves to get on my last nerve.

But if he didn't, I'd be worried. And if he didn't, I wouldn't love him as much as I do.

"You guys go and I'll meet you there. Okay?" I tell my mom, dad, and Tori. Sydney is on her way, but I know how late she usually is.

Mom narrows her eyes at me. "Jessa, we know how you can be. If I don't see you there, on time, I'm going to come find you myself. Understand, missy?"

I can't help but smile as a giggle escapes my mouth. "Yeah, Mom. I'll be there."

"Make sure to bring that goofy boyfriend of yours, too," Tori adds.

Dad leans down and kisses my forehead. "We'll see you in a little bit."

I watch them leave the house and it suddenly becomes totally silent. I sit and watch the door for a little while and try not to go crazy.

Finally, after a few long minutes, I hear a car pull up outside. I jump up from my spot, my dress dangling around my thighs. I wasn't going to where this, but Tori practically forced me to. I hold my graduation gown draped over my arm and my hat gripped in my hand.

I peep through the peep hole in the front door and wait for him to walk up on the porch.

When he does appear, I can't help but notice how handsome he looks all dressed up - and nervous. He's biting down on his bottom lip anxiously. To my surprise, he doesn't do anything but stare at the door. I wait one whole minute as he does this before I can't take anymore. I jerk the door open and come face to face with him.

A smile appears on his face and I'm sure there's one on mine, too.

"What are you doing standing out here? You're late!" I scold him as I hurry out and slam the door behind me.

I feel so anxious still. My palms are sweating and my heart is beating so fast. What could he possibly want to talk about now?

I head towards the driveway to find his mom's car sitting there instead of his beat up truck. Turning to him, I raise an eyebrow. He just shrugs his shoulders and gives me a wink.

We slide down into the car and he begins driving toward whatever this is.

"You have barely talked to me in the two days and now you're being spontaneous," I finally say. "What's going on?"

He bites his lip again. "I... I don't know if you'll like it."

Oh no. Oh no. Oh no.

"What are you talking about, Will?" I stare at him and wait for him to answer me.

"You're so bad at waiting for things, you know that?" He chuckles.

"You're scaring me, okay?" I defend myself. It feels like we've been taken back in time and we're back to our old selves. We used to bicker and pick at each other all the time, and that's what I called love. I got it back.