Chapter 1: He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named

I am going to die. There couldn't possibly be a good ending to this. I mean, I don't know anyone who lived to tell the story. You'd think that after all the trouble I've gotten myself into that this would be a piece of cake.

With a deep breath, I take the lunge.

My fingers grab the book that is clutched in the hands of my best friend. Just as her eyes widen, I tear the book away from her and toss it gently onto the bed, careful not to destroy it. The page was lost, and so was my life, probably.

"Jessa!" Hannah squeals as she scrambles after her book. I jump in front of her so she'll run into me instead.

"Nope," I say as I twist her around by the shoulders. "We're getting out of here." I would be surprised that I'm still standing on my feet, but Hannah's not the aggressive type. But that was worse – she will never say when she's mad, so I have to figure it out.

I knew better than to rip the book out of a bookworm's hands, but I'm a thrill-seeker, what can I say?

Hannah's glowers at me. "I was getting to a good part."

I mimic her actions and cross my arms over my chest, pushing my lower lip out. Maybe I was dramatizing her actions slightly. "Aw, that's too bad. Now, back to real life."

I waltz towards the door of her bedroom and pull it open. She doesn't budge from her spot as I wait for her.

"Where are we even going? It's almost nine o'clock and tomorrow is the first day of school," She whines as she grabs a jacket off her bed post.

"Exactly," I say. "We have some things to do before we become high school seniors."

I usher her out the door and we tiptoe down the steps of the two-story home. Hannah's parents aren't rich, but her mother has always insisted on a large house. For whatever reason, I found that out during one of my many dinners in the Carter household. They are my second family but just as important as my first.

We finally teach the front door when someone's footsteps make us freeze. There is nowhere to go and nowhere to hide, so I swallow my pride and stand up straight to prepare for Mr. or Mrs. Carter to come around the corner and wring our necks.

"Tyler?" Hannah gasps as she runs over to her older brother, wrapping her arms around his neck. I let out a breath of tense air that I was holding in and smile.

He's been gone for a while on trips with his friends over the summer and just now decided to come home. He'll be in his third year old college if he hasn't already been kicked out. Being two years older, I always looked at him as a big brother, so I'm also excited to see him.

I join in on their hug and make sure to not make any noise louder than a mouse.

"What so you two think you're doing?" Tyler asks sternly. In the dark it's hard to tell if he's kidding.

"Remember the costume party Andy Russell always throws the day before school starts? We're going." I tell them.

Hannah automatically puts up an argument. "I don't wanna go. Those things always get out of hand."

Tyler grins. "Don't worry baby sis. I'm going." His grin turns into a smirk and I laugh.

"Aren't you supposed to be getting ready for college or something?" Hannah asks sassily, only trying to find a reason to get him out of here. Tyler just shrugs. I finally get them out the door and walking towards my car as we continue arguing over going or not.

Although it's supposedly only for seniors, I know Tyler won't have a hard time getting into the party. Everyone in town knows who Tyler Carter is. They practically worship the kid and all the dumb stuff he does, or used to do. The special treatment used to be worse when Will Dawson was around.