Chapter 27: Forgiving is Not Forgetting

I decide that doing this is the only thing I can really do to make a difference. Well, almost the only thing.

It takes all my strength to force myself up the stairs that lead to my front door.

After school, Will and I went out for ice cream. This was so I could wait for both my parents to get home so I didn't have to wait around for them. I'd be pacing back and forth and probably bail.

"Are you sure you don't want me to come with you?" Will had asked as we stuffed our faces with ice cream from the Burger Place, where we had our first "date", if that's what you would call it.

I shook my head. "No. Mom and Dad will be more honest and open about it if you aren't there. But... will you maybe come by later?"

My knee bounced continuously under the table. I felt a hand on my knee and Will gave me a soft look.

"Yeah, I'll drop by. Just text me when."

I reached down and grabbed his hand.

Now as I stand at my front door, there's nothing I want to do more than walk away. I can't do it. I can't tell them about how weak I felt when he hit me. How low I felt.

I hated to feel that way, let alone talk about it.

You can do it. Will's voice echoes in my head. I close my eyes and before I know it, I'm pacing the living room floor as my parents watch me from their seats on the couch.

"What's wrong, honey?" Mom asks. She's been watching me so intently ever since I told them I needed to tell them something. Her eyebrows are knotted together in concern.

Dad starts to stand up, to move over to me, but I stop walking and hold my hand out. "Stop. Please, just sit down."

"What's wrong?" Dad demands. They're getting impatient.

He opens his mouth to say something, but I blurt it out.

"He hit me." I can't stop myself. "He hit me, he almost hurt another girl and that's why Will was in trouble but then he came back for me and then Connor and... Kyla." I don't want to cry, so I quickly raise my hand to my mouth as if it would help.

Dad was in his feet the moment he heard "he hit me". Mom stands right behind him, scared to even come closer to me, like the truth may become reality.

"Slow down, Jessa. Tell us what happened."

So I tell them, starting from when Will was sent away after the boat fire. I tell them about Will finding Connor and the girl in the boat, what he witnessed, and how he took blame for the fire. I tell them about Connor getting so angry with me all the time until he would finally just hit me. Mom looks away when I explain the bruise on my cheek and how it wasn't from the car accident.

And then I tell them about the arrest warrant and Kyla Black. Oh, sweet Kyla.

Dad walks away for a moment and I stand there alone. I'm half thinking he'll come back holding a shotgun, but instead he's got his coat and a set of keys.

"Where are you going?" Mom asks him. He gives her a blank look that is hiding anger.

"I'm going to find this boy. I'll be back soon." And he's gone before we get a chance to stop him.

"Mom, no," I cry and lean into her and she hugs me, holding my head against her shoulder.

"I'm so sorry I accused you of getting into fights. And I'm sorry I wouldn't let you see Will, and for everything, Jessa. I'm so sorry sweetheart," she coos. "I'm sorry I didn't see what he was doing to you. Tori mentioned it, but I never believed it."