Chapter 24: 007

Hannah told me to dress nice for this evening.

How do I dress nice with a brace on my foot and crutches rubbing a layer of skin off my armpits?

"Will," I say into my phone. "I don't know what to wear."

It's 3 PM currently and Dad will be home around 4:30, so there isn't much time here. I know he won't have a problem with me going with Hannah somewhere, but as of right now, I don't think mentioning Will would be a good idea.

He may not even let me go to this with Hannah because I couldn't even go to school... this will be the moment I explain priorities to my father.

"You have like three hours, Jessa," Will explains. "I think you have plenty of time to decide. Besides, you'll great in anything you put on."

The genuine tone to his voice sends a smile right across my face.

"Well, thanks," I mumble. "What are you doing?"

I lay back on my bed and hold my phone to my ear as I stare up at the ceiling.

"I had to come home early because my mom was coming home early," he reminds me. "So, I decided to be productive."

In the background I can faintly hear a gunshot, and then another and another. I roll my eyes.

"By playing video games?" I chuckle.

"What's more productive?" He asks distractedly.

"Wait, your parents didn't ground you for getting into a fight at school?" I ask. "I would've tried to hide that, but I couldn't really hold up that deal while I was in the hospital, ya know?"

"Well..." Will trails off and I hear the gunshots come to an end. Either he paused it or he died. And if a boy pauses a video game for you, it's serious. "I told my mom why I hit him. She knows about what he did to you and... she told my dad a different story to lessen my punishment. I know you're going to be mad, but-"

"Will!" I shout as I sit straight up on my bed. "Why? Why would you do that? What if someone else finds out and... and..."

I know it's ridiculous; I should be happy that someone knows and I didn't have to tell them. But every time I think about telling someone everything about Connor, I can't. The only thing I can imagine is him hurting Will or me or anyone. And I can't do that. I can't let that happen again.

"Jessa, I had to. Please just-"

In a panic, I end the phone call. Hot tears are brimming behind my eyes. Anger and fear are building up in me and I don't know what to do with myself. It's strangling me from the inside out.

I send a few texts quickly. One is to Hannah to explain that Will can just meet us at the place we're going. Call me immature, but I have to have some time to forgive him myself. Another text is to Will telling him to meet Hannah and me at the place. Hannah will tell him where to go.

I can feel paranoia creeping up my spine and sinking it's claws into me.

"You don't know anything," he seethes. "And if anyone else knows anything, you better let them know that I will go to the ends of this earth to make sure they keep their mouths shut. Including you."

Connor's words hang in my head like bats in a cave. It's hard to know they're there, but there's a fear that they may come alive and come after you. Connor could hurt us. He could do it, but I'm the only one with that fear.

*

I'm finally sitting at the kitchen table dressed in a nice jacket with a black shirt, the front of it tucked into my pair of skinny jeans, and a pair of converses to top it off. Well, one converse. My other foot is styled with a nice ankle brace and a polka-dotted sock covering my foot.