Chapter 21: My End of the Deal

I'm past the point of surprise when Will tells me the story of Connor and his most evil deed. Though I still freak out, Will assures me that he doesn't think anything happened - he got there just in time to save the day.

I never suspected. I never would have guessed that Connor could be like that, but I have seen first hand that he can be. I wish so badly that it wouldn't have happened to that girl. I also wish so badly that Connor would just leave my life. I don't think I could look at him anymore.

I huddle by the vent in Will's car as he closes my door and makes his way over to his door before sliding in. The car is thankfully warmed up within the next few minutes.

"Why didn't you say something to me when you came home and saw that I was with him?" I ask calmly. I never would have went near Connor if I would've known the things he had done. And for Will to know that all of those things happened and not tell me about them... I have no explanation for how I feel.

"To be fair, I tried pretty dang hard to get you away from him, but you wouldn't. You stubborn a-"

"Hey, now," I interrupt. "I know I'm stubborn, but something like that would've gotten me away like... like a girl running away from a spider."

"Great analogy," Will jokes lightly.

I roll my eyes. "I try my best."

"I couldn't tell you because it wasn't my story to tell. I told you now because I guess I don't see any other way out of this. Out this weird relationship we have going on and into the one I missed so much."

"This isn't our old relationship, Will," I tell him and his hands tighten on the steering wheel. He gulps and tries not to look hurt. I reach for his right hand and loosen it, then lace my fingers through his. "This one is going to be better."

There's a smile on his face that I can't help but mimic; feeling this way has always made me do that.

"It's no secret that I love you, Jessa," Will says, kissing my hand lightly.

I chuckle and just watch him drive, not a care in the world that he probably thinks I'm weird for staring. 

A thought suddenly hits me as we near the hospital, back to reality. "Speaking of secrets, Mom found out about me not being on the cheerleading team. She also thinks this bruise Connor gave me wasn't from the accident. I think Tori hinted at something, I really do."

"Tori knows he hit you?" There's a hint of hopefulness in his voice.

I shake my head. "No, but she was really suspicious. I don't know what it is with these Ackerman women and not trusting anyone."

"Hah, I don't either," Will says under his breath, but loud enough for me to hear. I smack his shoulder. "You know, it might not be such a bad thing that your parents know. You could press charges and you may not ever have to see him again."

I know this is what I should do. I know this is what Will wants me to do. But that would mean having my parents know, having awkward moments at events such as graduation and other events at school. Not to mention I'd be seeing his parents all the time since Beverly is nothing but the size of an ant. Besides, I've seen what Connor is capable of. What else could he do?

"I don't know if I'm capable of doing that," I say honestly.

"I'll help you, Jess. You don't have to be scared of anything. I'll be right by your side the entire time," Will assures me.

"We'll see," I say.

He must guess that I don't want to talk about it anymore, so he changes the subject.