Chapter 23: The Dirtbag

"Like I said, what are you doing here, Connor?" I ask once we're alone. I sink back against my headboard as he pulls my desk chair over and sits on it backwards, leaning his elbows on the back of it.

He rolls his eyes but there's a hint of mischievousness. "I just wanted to see if you were okay."

Before recently, that sentence would have made my stomach do flips. Now all I want to do is puke. After all he's done to me - all he's done to that girl - how can he act so righteous?

Without thinking about it, I pull the comforter closer to my chin. He must notice because he rests his hand on the she of my bed, about a foot away from my leg.

"I'm not going to bite you," Connor says slyly as he tries too hard to hide his smirk.

"No, but you might hit me, or worse-" My breath catches in my throats before I finish that last sentence. I'm suddenly aware of the blood in my veins.

His smirk falls, but his eyes stay on me. "Not sure what you're talking about, but I didn't come here to discuss any of that stuff."

Only one emotion courses through my headed: anger.

I'm not going to be a scared little girl.

"Why not? You came to see if these other bruises covered up the one you gave me?" I distinctly point at my cheek and can feel my tender cheek. It must almost be gone if no other one is there from the accident.

Connor chuckles. "How could anyone know that didn't come from the accident? Except maybe your little boyfriend who just got back from military school and probably has a record." In other words, whose word would anyone believe? The kid with the record or the kid who is spotless - for now.

"Because some people pay attention, Connor," I tell him. I try my hardest to push back the fear of letting him be right.

"Oh!" He says sarcastically and a little too loudly. "I forgot that you had to have all the attention, Jessa. Sorry."

"Excuse me?" I ask him.

"Don't deny it," he says. "You love the attention. You love being able to get anyone's attention, bad or good."

I shake my head as if it matters. "You need to get out." I can feel a lump forming in my throat and push it back down.

"Why?" He stands up from the chair and walks closer to me. "Because I just said the truth?"

"Did you just come here to let me know that I'm imperfect? I already knew that, Conner." I feel my blood rising. "I know more about you, about what you did. You aren't worth wasting my breath on."

His face falls and I see the normal face of anger beginning to form. He nears me even more but I don't move this time.

This time I'm ready.

"You don't know anything," he seethes. "And if anyone else knows anything, you better let them know that I will go to the ends of this earth to make sure they keep their mouths shut. Including you."

I'm frozen in shock as I examine his features. Pure anger, pure hatred. It's all there. And I'm scared for my life for the first time.

"What are you doing here, Conner?" A familiar voice says from my bedroom doorway. Will is standing there with two coffees in his hands, a look of calmness cast over his features. He just walked up, meaning he hasn't heard the conversation.

Will slowly makes his way into the room and gently sets the coffees down. Conner backs away a little, watching Will. But there's still a smile on Conner's face.