Chapter 15: The Rumors

The next day I wake up with an aching face. It hurts to touch and I know it's swollen before I touch it.

I get out of bed and sneak to the bathroom. I know Dad is probably awake and getting ready for school. He usually leaves before I even get the chance to pull on a decent pair of pants.

And he usually kisses me goodbye, or at least says goodbye. Which requires looking at me.

I grab my bag of makeup that was left on the counter and open it up. Out of the corner of my eye I see the first aid kit still sitting on the floor where I had it last night.

I pick it up and set it by the door so I'll remember to put it away later and not be questioned about it.

Going back to the mirror, I examine the bruise on my cheek.

The redness has gone away a little, but the bruise blossomed to be half the size of my fist. I'm thankful for that so I can cover it easier.

Then, I go to work. It takes me a few minutes to cover it, but I have to make sure my face matches the rest of it.

I'm applying the rest of my makeup when the door creaks open and my dad peeks in.

I jump slightly and move so he isn't looking at my left side, but my right side instead.

"Hey, I'm leaving. Got some papers to take care of," Dad says as he leans in the kiss my cheek.

I awkwardly lean toward him, careful not to turn my head. "Okay, love you."

I turn my back to him and frantically look for something to toy with.

"Are you okay? I know I didn't see you all day yesterday-"

"Fine, Dad," I cut him off. "Just in a hurry."

I bend down and pick up a dirty sock I must have left on the floor after my shower.

"Okay..." He trails off. I know he doesn't believe me. "I'll see you at school, kiddo."

I breathe out a sigh of relief when he shuts the door behind him. I stand quickly and finish my makeup, then race back to my room. Mom doesn't leave until later, but we don't always talk in the morning. She's usually asleep, so I should be okay.

I don't have the energy to make myself look presentable, so I find a pair of sweatpants and an old cheerleading sweatshirt that has my name on the back. After brushing my messy hair out, I leave it down to give my face extra coverage.

Just before I leave the house I make sure to bring the makeup with me.

*

Once I park my car, I stay sitting in my seat, pulling the visor down so I can look in the mirror.

"Here goes... everything," I say to myself after making sure nothing is visible.

I grab my backpack and sling it over my shoulder before trudging into the school.

To say I am paranoid is an understatement. I'm worried everyone can see past the makeup and right at the pain I'm really feeling.

I'm scared that when someone finds out all the secrets I've kept, then I'll be left alone.

When the football games really start and Mom and Dad insist on coming to watch me cheer, what am I going to do?

When the makeup wears off and the bruise is exposed, what will I do?

Will isn't in his seat when I walk into chemistry. I keep my head down as I find my seat. I sit alone with no one poking me, whispering stupid but funny jokes in my ear, or copying my notes because he's too slow at writing to keep up with the lesson.