Chapter 26: Over

"So you're sure you aren't mad at me?" Will asks as he wraps his arm around my shoulders.

I reach up and lace my fingers with his. "Uh, no." I say, referring to the many kisses we've shared since he told his mom about Connor and me. "I don't think I could manage to stay mad at you very long. At least, not two whole years."

He throws his back and laughs. "I promise not to do anything stupid enough to make you that mad again."

I smile up at him. "Good."

The pain in my leg and my limp has slowly went away over the past two weeks, as well as the drama with Connor. I've managed to somehow get everyone to stop talking about it - by everyone I mean Will, Hannah, and Duke - and keep it on the down-low. I've successfully had a Connor-free two weeks and I've never been happier.

That saying you never know what you have until it's gone works both ways. I never knew how much I didn't have until that one thing in my life was gone. The negativity. The backstabbing and abuse. All of it.

I follow Will out into the courtyard so we can sit and eat our lunches. It doesn't take long for Hannah to join us, Duke not far behind her.

I can't help but think of how great it is to see her so happy. She went from sitting in the quiet library reading her books to sitting with all her friends - with a book close by.

I turn my head from them to Will beside me. He's laughing and talking to Duke about something, but I don't mind. I like watching the way he acts, the way he moves and does things. The way he talks to everyone like they've been friends forever.

"Hold on I have a text," he says and draws me out of my stalker state.

"How's Tyler doing at basic training, Han?" I ask her and I grab the water bottle out of my backpack.

She shrugs her shoulders. "I haven't really gotten to talk to him as much as Mom and Dad have, but I think he likes it. Well, most of it. It's rough, you know."

I nod my head. "I'd be dead the first week."

She and Duke laugh at me. "Me too," Hannah agrees.

"Um, guys..." Will says quietly. I look over at him to see a look that's crossed between shock and relief.

"What's wrong?" Duke asks.

"My mom just texted me..." Will says and I get tried of waiting, so I take his phone and read the text aloud.

"There's a warrant out for Connor' arrest, I heard the guys talking about it during our lunch break. I'll tell what about later. Don't tell Jessa yet." As I read it aloud, I can feel my voice getting quieter and quieter. All of their eyes are on me and I can feel them burning holes in my skin.

Will's mom is a secretary now at the police station, so of course she would know. But what was this about?

I hand Will his phone back but don't glance at him. He takes it and texts something, probably to his mom, and sets it on the table.

I slowly stand up and make my way towards the school, ignoring my friends' attempts at getting my attention. I didn't stop walking until I hit the bathroom door and looked around frantically.

I leaned against the sink and looked up into the mirror. There is no trace of a bruise on my face now, no trace of him ever touching me.

That's how I wanted it to stay.

There's a quiet bang that echoes throughout the bathroom and then I hear a sniffle. I watch the stalls through the mirror and see a pair of feet drop to the ground. The white converse sit there for a second before they move, a young girl peeking out from behind the stall door.