Chapter 4: A Rose Between Two Thorns

After not seeing him for almost two years, you can imagine the look on my face and the pace of my heartbeat. I can't open my mouth to say anything. What am I supposed to say? Can I even speak English?

Will's smirk grows wider. The shaggy brown hair I remember is now shorter, it is still a mess like it used to be. His eyes seem darker and the stubble on his face makes him look more like a 25-year-old rather than an 18-year-old.

"What a surprise seeing you here, Jessa!" Will exclaims quietly. It's not like anyone else couldn't hear a pen drop in the room – everyone is staring at us, waiting for something to happen.

News spread fast in our small town just like every other. People were asking me what happened between Will and I only hours after he was sent away. I never told anyone the true story, so naturally rumors were spread. Now I wouldn't be able to tell you how many different versions of the story there are.

"You are not sitting next to me," I deadpan, my face heating up. I can't explain the feeling coursing through me at the moment. Anger, surprise, and pure shock are pulsating through my veins. There is something else, but I don't want to admit or think about what it may be. For a split second when he walked through those doors I found myself wanting to hug him – it's been a long time since I have seen him.

I loved him, and that isn't something you just get over. He was here, then he was gone.

"Same old, feisty Jessa." That stupid smile is on his face again, making the corners of his eyes crinkle.

"Same old, annoying Will," I shoot back, turning to grab a pencil out of my backpack. Mr. Simmons handed us all a paper that contained his syllabus and classroom rules. I write my name across the top just to do it.

Mostly everyone has turned their attention to Mr. Simmons who has begun talking about the paper I hold in my hands. I'm grateful that the attention is off of us now – I can't let anyone witness Will's murder.

"How've you been, Jess?" Will asks with his utmost sincerity. I want to cringe. How am I supposed to tell if he's being serious or not? The old Will loved to be sarcastic, quite like myself, as you can tell.

I mean, I wouldn't actually murder him.

"Peachy," I say, not looking at him. It's hard not to turn my nose toward him though because he smells so good.

"Sounds like it," he replies with a soft chuckle. "Who's that boyfriend of yours?"

The pencil I was fiddling with falls from my fingers. I turn to glare at him. Having my ex-boyfriend who didn't really give me a proper breakup mention my current boyfriend is kind of not the way I imagined my chemistry class going.

"Why do you care?" I ask him though I'm not sure if I actually want to know the answer.

He shrugs his shoulder, a twinkle forming in his eye. "Just wondering."

"You know, I think it would be best for you to just shut up."

"Come on, Jess. I haven't seen you in like two years, right? We have a lot of catching up to do." He turns himself toward me and rests his chin on his elbow.

"Sounds like you already know what has been going on, so there, you're all caught up."

"What about this boyfriend?" Despite his empty tone, his face tells me he really cared, he's just trying to hide it. "Look, I just want to catch up, what's wrong with that? I've been away from this place for more than I wanted to be, trust me."

I ignore him.

"Why can't we just talk?" I believe he already knows the answer to his own question.