Chapter 12: An Aching Heart

After staring at my ceiling for a total of 20 minutes, I begin to think about how much time it must have taken to stuck-o the entire ceiling.

Beside me is my phone - my empty-of-text-messages phones. Besides a short conversation with Connor about how we should talk, but neither of us have time to right now, I haven't gotten any texts from the one person I needed the most.

Hannah and I haven't spoken all night or all day today, and to be honest, I don't know how to feel about it.

With no one to talk to about it, I've been stuck inside my own head. Hannah was the person I always turned to and now she isn't there.

Am I in the wrong? What am I supposed to do, just drop everything and say that I'm sorry?

I'm sorry, Hannah.

I'm sorry that I disappoint you, and that I'm stubborn, and that I mess up all the time.

I'm sorry.

My phone vibrates what feels like my entire bed and I sit up quickly, grab my phone, and open it to see who texted me. My heart almost drops when I see it isn't from Hannah.

It's Will, and apparently he's right outside my house.

I quickly dial his number and hold my phone to my ear, still feeling exhausted from over-thinking and no sleep.

"Is this our new thing?" He asks as soon as he picks up.

I quirk an eyebrow. "What?"

"Us talking on the phone like I'm not right outside your front door," he laughs. I can't help but crack a smile though I try not to. I don't think I should be happy.

"Hold on," I tell him and I hop off the bed and head downstairs.

The house is empty on this Wednesday morning. School was scheduled to be cancelled today for teacher conferences, or something like that. The only part I usually pay attention to are the words "no school".

When I reach the door, I look through the peek-hole to see him standing there with his back to me as he looks out at the road and his phone still to his ear.

I debate hanging up and locking the doors just so I can be alone, but something in me craves his presence. It craves the comfort and familiarity he brings.

I open the door and wait for him to turn around. After hanging up my phone, I shove it in the waistband of my shorts and lean against the door frame.

He turns to me and smiles. "Hey, stranger."

"We see each other every day in chemistry, Will."

"Eh, still."

"What brings you here on this fine day?" I ask him while he lets himself into my house. I shut the door and follow him into the kitchen. If I didn't know any better, I'd think we were sixteen and still dating.

He opens the fridge and grabs a bottle of water out of the bottom drawer where it's always kept.

"Why don't you make yourself at home?" I chuckle.

He laughs and gulps a bottle of water. "Thanks, Jess," he says sarcastically.

"But really, why are you here?" I repeat my question.

He looks at me and the smile that comes across his face almost scares me. "We're gonna go for a drive."

He starts walking towards the door again, grabbing my jacket off the hook we have by the door, and tosses it at me.