Chapter 1

Every other day I would grab my alarm and smash it against the wall when it goes off. If that tendency stays and develops I might end up spending too much money on buying new ones, now that I think about it.

However, today I am glad it goes off.

One might wonder how this sudden change has come to be, but the answer is simple: moving day. This day marks the start of a new life.

During last year, after the death of perchance the most important man in our lives, my mother has been looking for a house in Korea. Why Korea? Well, she has always been a fan of the Asian continent and my father came from there, but you will not be able to know so when you look at me. I just look like a regular European girl, with slightly Asian features. The dark long hair I used to have has been traded for a balayage so that it now has the colour of caramel. Green eyes with a hint of amber look back at me in the mirror on the door. I knew it was not a bright idea to put it there, because it never shows a pretty picture so early in the day. It does, however, have the perfect height to completely show my small figure if I stand in front of it. Anne, one of the few friends I made in the past years, always called me a dwarf, but she did it with affection. If someone else said it then she made that person feel sorry for it. I am going to miss her.

When my father returned from one of his business travels he already looked sickly, but afterwards, his health gradually worsened. Mom evaded the subject when it slipped into the conversation, for example when I wanted to vent and show my concern. She still does.

His life did not know a happy ending.

Ever since my father's passing, which was somewhat of a relief after a long sickbed, Amanda has been wanting to leave the country and refuses to talk about him. I understand it is a fresh wound, but to see an open person being so closed off is strange.

Now that I graduated from high school, we are finally able to go. Of course, I dislike the fact of having to leave my friends behind, but it is time to chase new dreams. Kind of a bold thought for somebody who truly ponders everything and has difficulty approaching others.

To occupy herself, mom has decided she wants to open a bakery, which also meant I will have a job on my free days. Things can be worse when it comes to working conditions, I can be working for an ass of a boss. Might as well work with baked goods for a family member.

I have never had a sweet tooth, but baking and selling bread is highly preferable then performing administrative work in a dull office. Though I would choose that over a socially active job. An active job without contact, that is the dream, but sadly there are little to no functions which fit that wish.

'Scarlet, are you awake yet?' Amanda asks when she gently opens the door. Immediately opens the curtains as well as soon as she has set foot in the room, causing the bright English sun to burn my eyes out of their sockets.

'I am now,' I retort before I hide my face in the soft pillows. Getting out of bed is and stays difficult, no matter how many times you do it and regardless of whether something incredible will happen that day for which you need to get up.

'Good, then come out of bed and pack the last of your stuff. Our plane will be departing in five hours and I want to be there two hours early.' She is already worried and the day has not even begun yet. I sigh and leave the comfortable and comforting warmth of my little safe haven.

After quickly dressing and tying my hair in a voluminous ponytail, I rapidly pack the remaining things and put them in one of the moving boxes, which stand neatly stacked against the wall in a cardboard fort by the door. The room suddenly looks so empty without everything; bare white walls and a gorgeous light wooden floor.

So many memories were made in this room and now it has to be left behind. I will certainly miss it, but it is a necessary evil. Something new is awaiting me and God only knows what.

Downstairs the movers are helping with the last boxes. When they see me standing at the top of the stairs with the last two, the most well-built of them, a bear of a man, runs up to me and takes them out of my hands. Grateful that I am spared from carrying, I leave him to the task. They will be sent to our new home later, but we will probably see them back after we have been living there for a while. At least for a week.

Everything seems so unreal now, we are actually leaving England behind and moving to Korea. Who would have thought that?

A new start, a new life, is what we both need and this is how we decided to do it.

❈❦❈

The airport is as busy as ever. Everywhere you look you see people of different origins carrying suitcases whilst hasting themselves in order to catch their flight or to enjoy this grey gloomy yet charming country.

After we went through customs, Amanda and I decide to settle down with a cup of coffee and wait until it is time. We have an hour and a half to fill up.

'It feels odd, knowing we will leave England behind,' I say more to myself than to her, yet she answers.

Nevertheless, she speaks. 'I know,' she agrees, 'I feel weird about it too, but better things are waiting for us. You'll see.' Her never-ending positivity shows once again. That is one of the biggest contrasts between me and her, she always sees the good in things where I only see the bad. We are complete opposites, but somehow we manage to live in harmony. One can call it a miracle.

So many faces, all in one place. Each is on its way or searches for a clue that helps them in their quest. Everybody is a stranger to everyone here, although that can create something beautiful.

A little ahead a young lad crashes into a girl of his age, which causes her to drop her bag. The content lays scattered around on the white tiles. He apologizes and helps her clean up the mess when her shocked expression has calmed down. She reassures him. A glance between the two. Their story does not end here.

A father waves his son, who is about to depart for a far away exotic land, goodbye. He is worried and is concerned about his son's safety. The son assures him everything is alright for the hundredth time. The father still does not believe it completely.

The rest of the story is told through the eyes of the son. The father is a character that will return later and then will get to hear about everything that happened.

So many stories are set and developing at the same time in this place. One can almost call it magical.

After spending the remaining time like this, regarding the unravelling stories, the intercom gives the signal that we need to board our plane.

Suddenly reality kicks in and reminds me once more of why we are here.

This time, I can look at this moment with a smile. 'Let life take its course' is what dad always used to say.

That is the best way.

❈❦❈

The sky is clear and the clouds look as if they are made out of cotton candy. I look out the window, closing my eyes and feeling like a bird that flies to a new destination to spend the winter. Only we will spend the rest of our lives at the final stop.

Memories I made with my friends keep replaying in my mind. Leaving them was the hardest thing I have ever done because they are the only ones in whose company I truly feel at ease. Yet they were understanding and even supporting this choice. We promised each other we would stay in touch.

Cecilia, my oldest friend, is quite old-fashioned, so she wants to write letters instead of mailing. According to her, it is more personal if we do it like this.

I agreed to her proposal. It is something special we can share, looking at the letters together when we are older and reminiscence about the old days.

That is if I will ever come back. I ought it not entirely impossible I might stay and thus make this already the final destination for me. It is in Korea where I can create a new life, one that will hopefully be as good as the one I had. The people are hopefully also as great as the ones I knew.

Opening my eyes again, I keep looking at the world outside where lives are built, intertwined and destroyed, pondering what awaits me at the end of the line.