Chapter 27

A chilling pricking sensation on my throat and a wrecking headache are the first things I feel as consciousness slowly comes back to me.

Sight tells me I am in a desolate looking cell. Nothing but blank walls, iron bars and a cold concrete floor. That narrows down the options as to where I am.

Next is hearing and immediately it registers the desperate cries for mercy from one of the Bangtan wolves. 'No, please, don't. She has nothing to do with this,' a deep voice I identify as Taehyung's begs.

'Where are the files?' It is the same voice I heard on the phone, that calculated disdain. 'Tell me or she'll become as red as her name.'

'I don't know what you're talking about.'

I receive a smack in the face, making me directly jerk my head to the side in an unexpected motion and thus sending a wave of agony through the neck muscles. A metal flavour coats my mouth and I feel a warm liquid seep down my cheek where the unknown weapon had made contact. As I carefully look at my attacker I see he is wearing brass knuckles, in which lies the cause of the blow. A thin layer of blood coats the talons of the scorpion it is shaped after.

Tae regards me for a split second with his mouth open in shock, but his expression soon changes to a flaming rage as he grits his teeth. 'You bastard. You'll pay for that.'

'Will I? I highly sincerely doubt that, seeing as you're chained like the monster you are deserves.' He walks around my companion and puts his hand on his shoulder, whispering loud enough in his ear that I can still hear it. 'I'll ask again,' he pulls Tae's head back as if he is about to rip it off, 'Where. Are. The. Files?'

'I told you. I. Don't. Know,' Taehyung growls.

The older man nods and another hit delivered by The Scorpion's colleague sends me looking the other way. I spit out a blob of blood as I try to regain my breath, the pain increasing like the temperature in my face. Is everyone wearing insect brass knuckles these days?

'Scarlet!' the young wolf cries out.

'I'm...' I inhale deeply in an effort to make my voice sound sturdy again. 'I'm okay. In fact,' I look at the government's agents one by one, a bloody mocking smile gracing my lips, 'I can do this all day, gents.' It is mere bluff, but I want to prevent them from harming my friend.

The words get rewarded by a punch in the stomach, possibly bruising a few ribs and leaving me breathless. 'Tough words for such a little girl,' the big walking closet next to me huffs. 'You should learn to shut your trap, you wolf tart.'

'No, I won't, you big burly bastard.' I will keep talking if it means they will focus on me. Plus, I refuse to simply give up and let the guys down. If somebody has to get hurt, I rather have that person to be me.

My hair gets pulled backwards by a strong hand and before I know it I have The Bloodhound panting closely in front of me. Spit falls down like rain unto my face, every drop carrying a word with them, when he speaks. 'Then I will knock some sense into you.'

Behind him I hear chains rattling as Taehyung tries to reach me. The pitter patter of paws and scratching of nails resonates in the room and as I look past my assailant I see a fair-haired wolf laying beaten on the floor. He had thought he could gain some distance by transforming, but he was wrong. There is nothing he can do.

'Leave her be for now. We need her to maintain some level of well-being for the other interrogations,' the hateful man interrupts him. 'Though, I suppose you can have your way faster if we see the ghost among them first.' More rattling and growling from the other end of the room. 'It was a pleasure, mongrel. Let's see what your friends have to say.'