Chapter 18

Not too soon after we descend the stairs into the bakery, Taehyung and Jungkook arrive. They appear to be well-rested, the nights must have been full of the maknae taking care of the wounded guy, and Tae seems to be his old self again. Not a scratch can be found on him.

'Hey, guys,' I greet them and approach them with the aprons. 'Thanks for coming.'

'No problem,' the boys answer in union, exchanging a surprised look and giggling afterwards. Both are still a child at heart, which is adorable to see when it shows.

Yoongi glances at the lad he attacked. 'You okay?' he asks, sounding slightly concerned despite his characteristic cool voice.

'I'm fine, hyung.'

'I shouldn't have done it.'

'You did not want to leave and I understand that.' Taehyung walks up to him and pulls him into a hug. 'It's really fine, hyung.'

The platinum haired boy answers the embrace, holding him close and tight. 'I promise it won't happen a second time, Taetae.'

'We know you love that place, but if I have to drag you away and it happens all over again, I will be glad to take the beating if it means everyone will be safe.'

'She knows.' The words that come out in a whisper make the younger boy freeze. Jungkook, who is standing next to me and observing the two of them as well, seems to have heard it too and looks from Yoongi to me with a mix of panic and confusion. 'She knows everything.'

'Who told her?' the youngest of the Bangtan crew inquires.

'Monie told her,' Jin joins in on the conversation. 'Didn't he tell you via a call?'

Jungkook shakes his head. 'No, but since when does she know?'

'Hello, Kookie, I am standing right here,' I remark sarcastically. 'And I have known since yesterday.'

Taehyung lets go of his friend and turns to face me. 'Now you at least know why I acted the way I did back then, for which I am sorry. I only did it to protect us.'

'It's alright, Tae, but no more secrets from here on out, okay? Your problems are mine now as well, given that I am involved. I am sure that we can get through this and keep you hidden from the government's sight.'

The orange-haired boy spreads his arms. 'Hug?' I approach him and wrap my arms around him. He is a head taller than me, so I press the side of my face against his chest. He is warm and smells like a warm cinnamon bun. 'Thank you, Scarlet. For all that you do for us.' He lets go and holds me at arm's length. 'Can we talk later? I want to tell you something.'

Jungkook comes to stand beside him and puts his hand on his brotherly friend's shoulder. 'You sure?'

Tae nods. 'She'll get to know it sooner or later anyway.'

'True.' For a moment he looks doubtful, as if he has more to say, but does not know how to word it. Then he seems to just go for it. 'Since I have also something to talk about, is it okay for me to go with you?' Shyly he averts his gaze, expecting to be denied.

'Sure, you're more than welcome to,' I answer, looking into his dark eyes that become brighter after the response.

'I'd like to have you there as well.' Taehyung places his hand over the maknae's and looks at him reassuringly. 'I think it might even be better if you are there.'

A small smile forms around Jungkook's lips. 'Thanks, guys.'

Jin suddenly appears behind me, startling me with his voice so close to me. 'I guess I can't stay behind and let only the kids do this. Scarlet, whenever you have time, you should hear my story too. You might understand us better when we give you all the puzzle pieces we can individually.'