Chapter 19

We made a good start today, at the cost of us all being tired beyond belief. Especially after cleaning everything up, only to have the whole kitchen turned into a mess again tomorrow. However, none of us minds it.

'Scarlet?' Taehyung's soft deep voice appears next to me. 'I know you're tired, but could Kook and I talk to you now?'

'Yes, of course. I'll get some tea. You two get settled in the bakery. I'll be there shortly.'

Jungkook, who had been standing by the back door, moves and follows his friend to the front side of the shop.

I sent mom upstairs, saying I would clean up the mess and show the boys out. Gratefully she accepted my offer, but said her goodbyes nonetheless when it was time for the Bangtan baking team to go home.

'Are you sure you don't want to do some late-night baking?' Yoongi asked before he turned around to leave with his housemate.

'Get lost, Yoongi. That isn't going to happen,' I responded, giving him a small smile. It was cute that he was still trying to convince me, but I would not give in.

'You say that now, but perhaps soon you will think differently about it.' Before I could respond, he ran over to Jin, waved and left.

I have a feeling he will not quit, perchance even dragging me out of bed and to the kitchen. No, he would not do that, would he?

I boil some water, pour it in three cups with citrus green tea - a calming sort of tea - bags and put them on a serving tray to bring to the table.

The brotherly friends appear to be discussing something sensitive, because the hand of the younger chap lies comforting on Tae's arm. I put the tray down and distribute the warm beverages among us. Taking a seat on a chair across from the maknae, I look from one to the other. 'Did I interrupt?'

'No, no, you didn't. We were just talking about how we could tell you what we want to say,' the youngest answers.

'Whatever it is, make no haste. I have all the time in the world.' Both of them nod with a small smile around their lips.

Taehyung looks at Kookie. 'Shall I go first?'

'Have you calmed down enough?'

'Yeah, I think I have.' His dark chocolate eyes lock gazes with mine. 'I suppose you have heard the personal stories of some of the crew and we would like to tell you ours. I come from nothing, we barely managed to scrape by each month to feed all the mouths in the family. Life was tough and never easy. Perhaps it is because of that that I developed some problems. Each time something went wrong, I was the one to blame and I have to admit that I made some mistakes of which I am not proud. The only thing is, other people got punished in my stead because they defended me. At first I could live with the knowledge they had done so, but after a while it began to feel as if I should lift the burden of their shoulders and carry it, take responsibility. It felt as if I could not protect them from myself. I closed off all contacts with the people I knew, retreating into solitude so that I couldn't hurt anyone anymore. My parents began to worry and wanted me to see a therapist. I refused at first, not willing to talk. Nobody could understand me and we didn't have the money for it. They kept pushing it until I finally went, feeling guilty for them spending funds on me when they needed it more for other things.'

'That's what parents do, Taehyung. No matter what, they loved you and wanted what was best for you.'

'Back then they indeed wanted that, so I've come to realize after a couple of years.' He folds his hands together, looking at them in silence for a moment before he resumes his account. 'It didn't help, the therapy. At one point I asked my parents to cancel it completely and use the money for what they really needed, rent and food. At first they were reluctant, but did it anyway when they, too, realized I was right. Yet they continued looking for a solution for my problem.'