3 - WHO ARE YOU?

YOUR POV

After the candy humanoid introduced me to the two heroes of their city, the princess accompanied me outside the kingdom and told me that Finn and Jake will be escorting me until I regain my memories. 

I didn't get to know her more because, amidst the sudden change of atmosphere, confusion, and unanswered questions, I just did what I was told and stopped myself from interrogating anyone.

Besides, Princess Bubblegum assured me that Finn or Jake will explain the gist of everything since she had to run some errands.

I sat on the bench near the entrance of the kingdom to freshen up my mind for a while. A tall skinny male in a bear hat and blue matching clothes approached me with the usual look he gave me the first time we met.

"Hey," He simply waved a hand then slouched down beside me. I managed to smile, just one bit, instead of uttering words that I can't manage to spit out. I moved a little away from him just to leave a gap between us, watching the candy kids goofing around. 

Looks like an extraordinary world to me - with all those candy people and a stretchable yellow dog - a kingdom made of sweets and delicacies...

I never knew a place like this exists.

How the hell did I even get here?

I was about to grab the leaf that touched my shoes when his soothing voice interrupted me.

Finn lent a piece of a chocolate bar, small enough to bite in full mouth. I managed to blurt out a word of certainty after pulling the candy from his grasp. Finn looked away from me, having an indescribable look on his face. I looked away as well and started munching all the pieces of the chocolate.

There goes the awkward silence.

"Finn?" I tapped his shoulder as he glanced back at me with a beam on his face, "Do you know...what happened to me?"

He pursed his lips then frowned, "I..well..."

His eyes gleamed a bit of confusion and concern. It was captivating at first but then I realized how long I was staring at him to find answers. Finn didn't look up for a second when I brushed my gaze away from him again.

"We were trying to capture that nameless intruder who created a commotion in the first place," he continued. "But when that thief crossed the line, we tried finding her. We didn't even know it will lead us to an innocent."

"Now, we're back from scratch plus we need to bring your memories back so you can go home where you came from." he stood up.

It seemed that I was mistaken for their thief so they offered me a hand as a peace offering.

I was about to stand as well but my vision blurred constantly. My head throbbed and I felt my legs tremble. Plopping down with a loud sound, Finn glanced back at me, his eyes glowed with the twilight occurring behind us. "Hey, you okay?" he stretches out a hand.

"I'm...I'm fine." I grasp through his fingertips which were bound with warmth. It reminded me of a mother's comfort. At first, I felt secure in the radiance we shared but it was also the time to let go when I landed on my feet in front of him.

"Thank you."

"Do you want to go out for fresh air? I can take you to the forest where I always find it relaxing. And since I was tasked to escort you, I guess I'll be your guide then." he said with a warm smile on his face. I didn't hesitate to reply to it with a nod so we walked out of the kingdom's presence before I followed him towards the forest he was talking about.

We scampered after the warm breeze embracing us from behind which directed us to a family of cotton candy trees from a distance—somewhere pink and blue. If this was a dream, I certainly wouldn't think twice about enjoying a new life with a new friend who kept me safe and sound.

❇ ️❇️ ❇️

That day was never been so comforting before. I never thought of danger when I'm with Finn. It was memorable to be with him; to make new friends while venturing to unfamiliarity. He taught me how to laugh, smile, and be true to myself.

"Finn?" I uttered his name under my fraily breath.

I would never forget this day when I finally felt happy and at ease. We ran together with a tight grip on our fingers as we rushed to meet new people. I met your friends, I discovered your world and I slowly remembered who I was.

Y/n, the name that echoed in the blank void in my mind, became deafening noise. My memories might be scattered and fleeting but that name surely helped me regain myself and my unspoken past.

"Y/n."

He furrowed his eyebrows.

"I'm Y/n. Nice to meet you, Finn Mertens." I chuckled upon seeing his confused look.

Perhaps, I was the one who's confused when he smiled and did an unexpected remark.

That was the day he hugged me.

But that was also the day of contemplation.

I soon realized that if I remembered my memories, I'll leave them to go back to where I came from.

Will it hurt if I stay for a moment and forget my vague home?

Or will I just be another threat to them?

❇ ️❇️ ❇️

- edited and rewritten