8 - FATE WISPS

❇ ❇ ❇

Two days ago...

"What's with the long face?" King Zankoku cocked an eyebrow at the Fate Witch. Everything has changed: From the kingdom's color of happiness and wealth to a total disaster of its beauty. He only wanted its worth, the people, and the throne. Still, that doesn't change the fact that the Fate Witch told him everything. She told him the only princess who inherited the royal blood and not the real truth about the twins. 

"Nothing, your highness." she fake a smile, glancing back at the dark blue clouds of Takara. "It's Zankoku to you now, my queen." he flashed a lopsided grin. The Fate Witch trembled in disgust.

"Disgusting." she thought and was immediately interrupted by a noisy army that entered the kingdom. "You're good to go. Make sure to capture the last inheritor alive or else you all die."

"How long will it take for my army to reach Ooo?" the Fate Witch hoped that the princesses are safe, knowing that she told her wisps to guide them in their journey. 

"Two days," she muttered to herself. "Will there be danger ahead?" the ruthless king stared at her which made the poor Fate Witch stiffen her back, "Once the first full moon is seen during their journey, do not be tempted to follow its light. It will only take you to an endless misfortune."

His army of almost a thousand outsiders made their first move. They left the kingdom with nothing to say.

What they really expected is a long journey, not knowing of the hidden pathway connected from Takara to a forest that leads to Ooo: The cliff where Princess Aiko (Y/n) fell.

---

YOUR POV

"Mind if you just tell me what you want?" I crossed my arms completely confused at the flare that showed to me before. This must be a dream again.

"A fate witch told the reigning king of your island about the heiress of the kingdom. One from you will be sacrificed to him."

"One of us? But who?"

"I must go."

"WAIT!"

"Wisp?" The moment I saw the small house, I immediately snapped back to reality. We fixed the fissure from Finn and Jake's tree fort after a wild bear pounced at it. Then we built a small house for Jane and me. "Uh, I'm so bummed."

Jane probably left so I planned to visit Finn if she stopped by there.

Speaking of which, Jane told me about our pasts - from our separation and the death of the king and queen.

I scoot next to the desk to grab my everyday journal. After jotting down a memory from my dream, I opened the door, walking on the bridge that connected the tree fort and the small house. "Hey," Finn approached me while carrying a milk carton. "Have you seen Jane?" he nodded his head and said, "She told us that she'll be out for a minute probably in the dungeon since she gave me an obvious grin."

"Oh, you didn't join her?"

"Yeah, dungeon day off." We chuckled in sync as I sat beside him, comfortable enough to start a conversation about dreams. "Have you dreamt about a wisp that constantly warns you?"

"Wisp? That's peculiar. I only know the Cosmic Owl." he laid the milk carton down while I kept my eyes on him, curious to know what an owl exactly do in a dream. "Cosmic Owl? So if you have an animal in your dream then I have a legendary flare in mine. Does your owl states your future too?"

"Uh, kind of but when a Cosmic Owl appears in a dream, we call it 'croak dream' which means it will happen in the real world eventually."

"You mean...to all of you living in Ooo, the Cosmic Owl is the instrument that predicts your future?" Finn scratched his neck, probably confused by my statement. 

Do they really predict our future to warn us and at least keep us away from danger since it was fated? I'm so confused. To be honest, I already encountered the-wisp in my dream when I was young. That means, I was born to have a guardian to avoid the incoming accidents. "If you want to know more about dreams, I can take you to the library. I'm sure Turtle Princess also like legends."

"Turtle Princess?" he smiled, grabbing his green bag after gesturing me to go out with him.

"She's the librarian there."

So there are also different kinds of princesses. I thought Bubblegum was the only one, obviously because I only know her. "By the way, where's Jake?" I asked. "He's sleeping upstairs." He slid a note under a book as we leave their tree fort silently.

---

"Will you tell me how many princesses are there in Ooo?" he just let out a small chuckle before answering me. "I'm actually serious, Finn."

He grinned sheepishly, showing off a few of his missing teeth. "I know a lot, I guess. Princess Bubblegum, Turtle Princess, Slime Princess, Breakfast Princess..."

"Hold on. Did you say, Breakfast Princess?"

No wonder how she looked like. If Princess bubblegum is obviously made out of candy, then Breakfast Princess is entirely made of food. "Seriously? Breakfast Princess?" he hummed then continued dictating the rest of the princesses he knows. So there's really a lot of them. "...Cranberry Princess, Lumpy Space Princess, Muscle Princess..."

"Flame Princess," We stopped in front of the library's entrance. I always wanted to visit a library when I was young, but back in my hometown, we never had a library constructed. Libraries are located outside our concealed town. Only a few of us have books, that is why we only borrow one or two from them. "Finn, what brings you here? Oh, is she a girlfriend of yours?"

Here we go again.

"Uh, no. Just a friend."

"Anyway," I broke the silence between the three of us, "Do you have a book about wisps?" she slid a paper from her journal with a list of contents that might help us find the truth behind my dream. "Yes. Over there."

"Thanks," I smiled, gesturing Finn to sit beside me and help me find the legend of the wisps.

"Cosmic Owl, Prophetic Dreams, Wisps? Here it is," I pulled out one from the shelf and placed it on the table. "Look at the title," he touched the embedded letters on the cover that was outlined in ancient calligraphy.

"It looks very old. Even the font looked so ancient."

Just as I flip the pages to the first content, he read the first part, stating its origin. They are also called Fate Wisps who guide children in dreams and predict their future. They are also assistants of Fate Witches. 

"So they really are built for dreams and fate. How come it only happens to me but not to my own sister?" I flipped another page that has almost the exact question I have in mind. "Wisps only happens in a mind that is not controlled. It's also very seldom in ancient times because it is only given to a person who has strong faith and mind."

I don't think my sister is mentally weak. She has a strong personality and I doubt she ever experienced it. Probably because I haven't asked her yet.

I closed the book carefully while Finn simply flipped a page from a book that was placed on the desk before we arrived, "What actually happened to your dream?" he murmured, still flipping the pages he reads, "It warned me about an army. The wisp told me that his people are out to capture one of us. It might be Jane or me."

❇ ❇ ❇

"Come closer," a deep dark voice echoed in the secret hideaway, "Didn't I tell you to accomplish the task I gave you?" He gestured his hands inward, pulling the innocent young girl close to him. "I apologize, master." the girl pleaded until he heard voices approaching the secret hideaway - a cue to send his apprentice back. "She's almost filled with affection. Her necklace should be refilled once again," he mumbled to himself, aware of what will happen if it is refilled with his blood that kept her under control.

❇ ❇ ❇

- edited/rewritten