Chapter 1 - The Beginning

*I GAVE THESE PEOPLE USERNAMES AND IF YOU HAVE THEM I APOLOGIZE. NOT IN ANYWAY MEANT TO TARGET A PERSON AND I DON'T KNOW ANYONE BY THESE USERNAMES

Tessa's P.O.V.
I woke up to the sound of a flatline. Dazed, I realized where I was. The hard chair beneath me was pulled up beside a hospital bed, and beside me was the best friend I had ever had. My brother, Nate. For years, he helped take care of me and even through our parent's death. I stared at him and then I noticed the chords. Sudden realization hit me. The flatline meant he was... Something pulled hard at my heart and I screamed.

Pain gripped me like a cruel monster and didn't let go. It only got worse and worse as the seconds rolled on. The doctors rushed in and began to usher me out. I stopped them, now sobbing. The sound of that flatline pulled everything out of me, out of my soul, and the longer it went, the further away it sounded. Somehow, I ended up on the floor, a mixture of sobbing and yelling coming from my throat.

When the doctors tried to help me up, I only yelled louder and tried to push them away. Finally, I had screamed so much that I had no more energy left. A wave of darkness fell over me.

I woke up in my room and I rubbed my eyes. A dream. It must have been a dream that Nate could have ever possibly died. Somehow, though, I was afraid to go downstairs to where I might find him. No, Tessa. It's fine, maybe you just need to take a breather. Nothing happened. I quickly shut down my inter dialogue and opened up WattPad. Let's see if Will has been online yet. I checked my messages, and surely enough he had messaged me back.

Nerd_Ruler: Hey, any good new stories?

I calmed down slightly, and centered myself. I would have definitely told him if something were off. I replied back, despite him being calm, I could not shake the feeling my dream could have been...

Ships-For-Days: There's this one, but it's an IRL book series.

Immediately, Will was online, typing an answer.

Nerd_Ruler: Still okay, what is it?

Ships-For-Days: It's called The Infernal Devices. There's this character named Bessa and she falls in love with Bill and they're adorable. (A.N. Tessa and Will but the whole it'd be weird if the main characters had their names thing gets me)

Nerd_Ruler: Do you think they sell it in London?

Ships-For-Days: I think they sell it everywhere.

Nerd_Ruler: I'll check the library for it. Anyways, what's up? Usually you're still asleep right now. It's only 5 AM in America.

Ships-For-Days: I had a really terrible nightmare, my brother died.

Nerd_Ruler: Geez, I couldn't imagine if my other sister died.

Ships-For-Days: Yeah, how'd your all's science project go?

Nerd_Ruler: We got a B.

Ships-For-Days: If the teacher's the jerk you claim him to be, that's great.

Nerd_Ruler: If? He is awful. Creepy dude.

Ships-For-Days: 100% understand, you should've seen my history teacher from last year. It felt like she always wanted to sleep with everyone in the class.

Nerd_Ruler: Ccccccccccccccccccccrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaapppppppppppppppppppppppyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Ships-For-Days: Yeah, anyways, you spelled that wrong. I have to go considering I might as well go get ready for school. Speaking of which, why are you on your phone in class?