Chapter 7

"You guys are going to homecoming this year." I pointedly say to Lucas and Riley.

"We can't go without you." Riley simply stated. She's been saying this ever since sophomore year.

"It's your senior, you guys are going. All of you." I turn the the rest of the gang.

It wasn't only my fear that was stopping me from going to dances. They just weren't my thing. After that dance in middle school, it just started to seem ridiculous.

"Please?" It was like Lucas was tempting me to make fun of him for begging.

"No." Thankfully they couldn't argue back because of the bell. This wasn't going to be the end of this conversation though.

---

There was an assembly today during fifth period. It was, of course, to announce the theme for homecoming.

Homecoming at our school was as fancy as other dances. Girls bought dresses, guys wore suits, and couples were all romantic. There was talking, dancing, eating, and anything else people do at dances.

After seeing a couple of girls dancing to some song, a poster with the theme, date and location was lifted. City of Lights.

We were in New York. It was a fitting theme. I could imagine how they'd decorate and what props they'd use. It was really going to be a nice dance. I really hope they cenjoy it.

---

"That's amazing!" Josh exclaimed from the other side of our call. We were facetiming this time. It was another small step that he had insisted we try. It was working though.

Our student council had asked me to paint a mural for our dance. They wanted something that they could use as a backdrop for when students took pictures at he dance. I was beyond excited.

I smiled at the fact that he had a matching excitement as I did. "I'm really looking forward to this"

"Do you have an idea of what you want to do?"

"I have a vague image, but I have to sketch it out first." In reality, I was already sketching it.  I was sketching while we spoke.

"Is that what you're drawing right now?" I nodded my head.

"Can I..help?" He cautiously asked. I took my attention off the sketch and looked up to Josh looking kind of shy.

"What?"

"I was hoping I could help." He looked unsure if this was a good idea, which was rare. "And we haven't really seen each other in a while, I was hoping maybe.." He drifted off before finishing the sentence.

"We're looking at each other right now."

He rolled his eyes. "You know what I mean."

"No offense, but can you draw?" I asked. Josh was talented in many things, but art was something I didn't know he could do.

"You'd be surprised Ms. Hart. I am actually a much better artist than Riley." He chuckled. I sure hope he is. Riley's purple cats have not improved since freshman year.

"Alright how does this look?" I lifted the paper to show him. Hopefully he could see through this bad lighting.

"I can't really see anything?" Hope is for suckers after all.

"I'll just send you a picture." I paused our facetime to take a picture.

"Hey this looks pretty cool!" He exclaimed through the audio.

"You think?"

"Yea. I'm glad that your school knows how talented you are." I could just hear the smile in his voice.