Chapter 11

Something was wrong. I didn't know what, but something was wrong.

That was the feeling I had this morning when I woke up. Why did I feel like something bad was going to happen?

It was the end of the school day by now and I still couldn't shake off the feeling.

I was barely walking out of my class when Riley suddenly ambushed me.

"Can you take me home today?" She didn't look particularly sad but she wasn't her cheery self.

"Are you okay?" I asked her anyways because anything other than a cheery Riley had something going on where she needed her best friend.

Riley looked around to check the empty hallway. She then turned her attention back to me, except she wasn't really looking at me. She seemed to be looking somewhere farther. 

"What's wrong?" I stepped closer to her.

"I just..feel lonely." She silently admitted. It was low, but I could hear her loud and clear.

"What? Why?" I moved to give her a hug. 

She pulled away. "Lately, you've been with Uncle Josh. I'm happy for you, but it just feels like we're getting further and further apart." 

"Riles, don't feel that way. We are always going to be together. Josh may be important to me, but you're more important."

"Are you sure peaches?"

"I'm 1000% sure." I give her a reassuring smile. The distance was becoming larger between Riley and I and I didn't like it one bit. I just didn't know how to tell her about me and Josh. I didn't know how to bring it up, nor do I think I want to. I felt as if I just wanted to savor the moment.

I looked back at her and she was giving me a wide smile, but when I looked at her eyes, it wasn't as happy as her grin. 

"Are you sure there's nothing else that's wrong?" I ask her again. Something was wrong.

"No there isn't! I just didn't want there to be a gap between us" This time she was giving me the hug. She was lying, but I didn't want to force it out of her. Maybe back then I would have, but after what happened I learned that it's difficult to talk about your problems. I was never ready to really talk about it until recently, so when others tried to force me to talk about it, I couldn't. Riley wasn't ready, and I wasn't going to force her.

"If you say so Riles." I return her hug, giving her a comforting rub on the back.

---

"Something's wrong Josh." I say to the boy laying down on the blanket next to me.

We were laying in the park after having a picnic. The sun was setting but we didn't care. I felt safer now, especially with Josh here. I knew he would could me safe. Just being near him kept me safe.

"What do you mean Maya?" He turned his head towards me. There was still quite a distance between us. I wasn't as afraid to hold his hands anymore, but I still wasn't comfortable. My fear has only gotten past the first stage. There was no such thing as hugging yet.

"I took Riley home today" 

"What's wrong with that?" He asked in a confused tone. I guess that sounded like nothing would be wrong.

"Where was Lucas?" Lucas and I had made an agreement that I would take Riley to school while he took her home. That was our deal, so why didn't he take her home yesterday?

"Maybe he was busy? What's wrong with taking Riley home?" Josh still didn't understand, but then again he hadn't been with them as often as I have.

"Lucas is never too busy to take Riley home. During football season, Riley would study in the library so that they could go home together. So why was it that yesterday he didn't take her home?"

"You said she was feeling distant from you. Isn't that the reason why? She told Lucas that you were going to take her home so he went ahead without her."

"I thought that too Josh, but it's not like that. I've gone out with Riley sometimes after school and taken her home, but this time was different. Lucas always waits for Riley to leave with me, but he wasn't there yesterday. He was no where to be seen." Something was wrong, and Riley was afraid to tell me.

Josh was silent for a long time. "Remember that time you lost yourself?" 

That was years ago, but yes I remember clearly. "You mean the time you confessed your love for me?" I teased him.

A blush was creeping up his face. He had that embarrassed look all over again. The same one where he told me he liked me and we started the long game. The one with the wide grin. 

"Yes Maya that time. Just a little before that" He rubbed his face in embarrassment. 

"I remember perfectly." Why was he bringing this up. I thought back to it. "No Josh, he doesn't."

"Are you sure?" He had a serious look.

"I'm sure." There were no jokes. We couldn't go back to that time. I didn't want to. It was too complicated and it was hurting Riley and I's friendship. 

"Besides, it'd be impossible and he knows it. Everyone knows I like you way too much." I find his hand and intertwine it.

"I know, but it can't stop him and you know that." Deep down I do know that. 

I move to sit up and so does he. 

"I don't think that's it Josh. I think that it's something else. It has to be." 

"I hope you're right Maya. I really do." 

We started to stare silently at the sun setting. It was almost completely dark with just a hint of red and pink poking from the horizon.

Something was wrong, but I really hope that it isn't that. Anything but that. 

-------

Sorry for the  short chapter, but I promise chapters will be longer!!