Chapter 19

Josh was kind of okay with it. He said he was okay with it, but I felt like he really wasn't okay with it. Nevertheless, I couldn't let Riley down nor could I miss this chance to meet her boyfriend. 

I wanted to give him the 'best friend will kill you if you hurt her look down'. It was just my job to protect her.  She has been by my side through everything, I could only do the same for her.

We decided to meet the two there. Naturally I picked up Riley and started to head towards our meeting spot. It was actually at the NYU campus, oddly enough. Her boyfriend is a student there though so I guess it wasn't that odd.

We waited at an open area just sitting there talking about her boyfriend and his brother.

"Just try not to scare him too much" 

"That's exactly what I'm here for." I give her a big grin.

"You're going to scare him off!" Riley laughed.

"Hey! I'm not that scary!" I shouldered her.

"Are you sure this is okay? I'm scared that I forced you to come.." She looked worried.

"I'm a lot better now thanks to Josh. Of course, thanks to all of you guys too. If you guys weren't there for me through all this darkness, I probably would have never made it. I think I can do it."

"If you can't do it, tell me right away. It's always you before anyone else. I don't care what it is, or what I'll have to get through."

"Thanks Riles, but I think I'm okay." I gave her a genuine smile. I was going to put up with this. I wasn't going to depend on just Josh or anyone. I needed to overcome it and that meant also talking to other people.

"Anyways, how is Josh? Do you guys have any improvements that I should know about? Any developments?" She wiggled her eyebrows. I squinted at her. Did she know? Nah I doubt it. Everyone knew me and Josh are in a complicated relationship so nobody ever really could tell our actual status. 

"We're good." Way to be secretive in the most plain way Maya. 

"Well, at least you guys aren't arguing anymore. How did you guys resolve that anyways?"

Luckily a figure started to run towards us so that I didn't have a chance to answer. 

"Riley!!" the figure yelled.

"Adam!" She called back to him. 

"By the way they're fraternal twins so this is not what his brother is going to look like. He's said to be better looking.Not that I'm encouraging you to go after someone that's not uncle Josh, but at least your 'date' will match your great looks" She quickly said before running to her boyfriend. 

I slowly got up and walked towards the couple that was now doing the cliche run and hug you see in movies. 

"Adam, this is Maya. My best friend, my number one" She introduced him to me and vice versa.

"Nice to meet you Adam." 

"Nice to meet you Maya." He gave me a sweet smile while sticking his hand out for a handshake.

I took a mental deep breathe before grabbing his hand. If I was gonna balls up I was going to do it right. 

"I'm leaving Riley in your hands, but if you dare hurt her.." 

"Maya, please stop." Riley said embarrassingly.

"Don't worry, I don't plan on doing so." He assured me.

Adam was fairly tall, about 6'3. He had a small tan and deep brown eyes. His hair was put into a messy combover. It was like he wanted it, but did it too clean that he looked like his dad so used his hands to mess it up a little. He wasn't exactly lanky but we wasn't built either. He was in between. If Riley were to fall though, he could definitely catch her.