Chapter 9

It wasn't everyday that Josh was caught staring or, even better, gawking. It was homecoming night. That meant hours of getting ready. It was such a hassle, I almost thought of bailing. It was worth it though.

There he was in a jet black blazer, white dress shirt, and black slacks. To say he looked amazing was an understatement. His tie was a midnight purple to match perfectly with my dress.

He had long forgotten about the box of corsages in his hand. He was too busy staring, which of course made a blush creep its way up to my cheeks.

I was wearing a scoop neck dress with three quarter sleeves. It hugged my curves perfectly and went up to my mid-thigh. There was glitter on the dress that made it sparkle as if they were stars in the sky. My makeup consisted of eyeliner, eyeshadow, mascara, a tint of blush, and a dab of lipstick. I had also gotten my eyebrows done. I know that I didn't really want to go to Homecoming, but since I'm going to go I might as well go big. I had to admit that I looked hot.

I giggled a little, breaking Josh out of his trance. He immediately rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. I turned to look at Riley, who of course had the largest smile ever. She was stuck in love with Lucas. She didn't think about anyone but him. I gave him that knowing smile. He too smiled back at me before putting his attention back on Riley.

"Are we going to do this?" I grinned up at Josh. He put up a boyish smile and took a step closer to me.

"We're going to leave first, I have to set up." Riley said to me. I barely nodded my head, not taking my eyes off of the man in front of me.

I felt the box the corsage was in before opening it. Inside were beautiful flowers, one glittered with purple and one with silver. The ribbon matched the colors of the glitter. His flower was a purple color too. I reached for the boutonniere to safely pin it on him. I had practiced so that I would not accidentally poke him, but my hands couldn't help but shake.

"Don't worry, I won't suddenly move if you accidentally poke me." He smiled to assure me. He still assured that we would not make any contact even if he got hurt. I was more worried for his pain, yet he was worried about my phobia.

He then reached for the corsage. He carefully placed it onto my wrist, expertly dodging any contact. He must have practiced a lot.

Our eyes had that sparkle. The sparkle that shows there's no other person. "Let's go.." I whispered.

We were in front of the gym within 10 minutes. Seeing the hallways decorated told me that it was absolutely beautiful inside.

Coming upon the door, any excitement I had disappeared in an instant. It was as if it had vanished into thin air.

I was staring at a dark gym. Suddenly things were dark everywhere. I took a few steps back, searching for something. All I could see was black. Where was Josh?

"Josh?" I searched frantically. I ran and ran but darkness just kept coming.

"Please where are you?!" Where was he? Why isn't there anyone here with me? How did I get here?

I suddenly felt myself caged up. The wall was to my back.

"Maya!" There was a voice. Who's voice is that?

"Please Maya, you're safe. I promise." Josh?

"I'm here to protect you." Things weren't black anymore. I felt the tears I didn't know I was letting fall start to stop.

"Josh.." His eyes were no longer sparkling. They were filled with worry and regret. Regret that he couldn't help me, that he let this happen to me. It wasn't his fault. It was my fault. Yet, I brought his suffering with me.