Enchanted

First part of Enchanted, You Belong With Me, Speak Now trilogy.

***

The door bell chimed when Taylor opened the front door into her favorite coffee shop. As a screenwriting major student in NYU, she need a quiet place to work on her scripts and her small apartment was obviously not it. She liked the small place, even though it was a little far from either her campus or her place. It was a charming little place with plush sofas and wooden furniture, mostly frequented by college students like herself. The coffee was great and fit well with her budget, considering how often she visited this place. Also the cakes were getting better this year. Taylor went straight to her usual spot at the corner of the shop, putting down her belongings onto the low table before she ordered at the counter.

"Umm, hello?"

The girl behind the counter had her back facing Taylor. Taylor called her again, because she was still focused decorating a cake with strawberries.  When she turned, her face was already sporting a warm smile, looking quite dazzling with deep dimples on both cheeks. The girl waited for Taylor's order with expectant smile, while cleaning her hand with a towel.

"Uhh." Taylor couldn't remember what she was about to say as she was bewitched by the beauty of the girl behind the counter.

"Hello," Karlie greeted her, "can I help you?"

"Uhh," Taylor stammered. "Umm. I want to order coffee?" Why did it sound like a question, Taylor? God.

"Sure," Karlie was still smiling kindly. "What kind would you like? We have a quite range of coffee here. There's a menu over there if you're still unsure."

"Uh, no. It's okay. Just a cup of hazelnut latte, please."

"Okay. You can wait on your seat, if you want. I'll bring it over there."

"Okay," Taylor nodded, still dumbfounded by the sight before her. "Thank you."

Taylor padded to her seat. She stole another glance toward the girl, who was making her order now. The counter girl bent to fetch something on the low shelf, granting Taylor a exquisite view of her backside. Taylor gulped hard. Holy guacamole. It was perfectly shaped and round and firm and amazingly sexy. Taylor wasn't always eyeballing other's ass normally, but this wasn't quite an ordinary girl she had there. Taylor proceed to walk backward to her seat, using the opportunity of being the only costumer there. She was here way too early and apparently, it was the best decision she'd made for today.

"Ow!"

Taylor's calf hit her seat quite hard and her yelp made the counter girl looked back at her. Rubbing the sore spot, Taylor just grinned sheepishly and sunk to her seat. The counter girl cocked an eyebrow and had this amused smirk on her lips. Mortified at the possibility that the girl knew she was ogling her, Taylor sunk lower to her seat, trying to make herself invisible. All the way from her seat, Taylor still could catch the girl's low chuckles.

Taylor's cheeks was blazing from embarrassment as she turned on her laptop in a deflated manner. No wonder she couldn't get herself a girlfriend when she always acted like a moron around pretty girls. Taylor let out a defeated sigh as she opened her unfinished script. It wasn't a schoolwork, but a personal project. She dreamed that it would be made into a movie or a play someday. It was her own interpretation of Romeo and Juliet, but with an happier ending. Being a hopeless romantic, she always believed in true love and grand romantic gestures.

"Here's your drink," a melodious voice brought her out of her musing.

Taylor looked up directly into the girl's emerald green eyes. She was only able to mumble her thanks as the girl's beauty rendered her speechless once again. This is getting ridiculous, Taylor whined to nobody in particular. The girl just winked at her as she left Taylor alone again. Taylor couldn't resist to appreciate the girl's firm ass as she walked back to the counter. A silly grin was on her face.

"I know there's a reason why I love this place so much."

***

The counter girl's name was Karlie and she was 2 years her junior. She was in NYU too, a business major. That was the only information she'd got from their brief conversations over the counter. Sometimes when Karlie dropped her order, she would talked for a bit or ask what she was working on.

After a month of religiously sitting in Karlie's coffee shop, Taylor observed that Karlie had the morning shift on Monday and Thursday and the night shift for the rest of the week. Karlie had a bubbly personality and a killer smile which was always present whenever Taylor walked into the coffee shop. Her hair was always up in a messy bun, adding the height to her tall frame. She was built like a model and poised like a silver screen actress.

It wasn't like she was stalking Karlie or anything. Taylor argued that she was a scriptwriter, hence it was in her nature that she would pay attention to people around her. Purely for educational purposes. With absolutely no side motives, especially the romantic ones. It wasn't her fault that Karlie enthralled her. She was enchanted to follow the girl from her peripheral sight, as she tried to absorb the inspiration radiating from her muse. Taylor's Juliet was starting to look like Karlie and there was nothing Taylor could do about it.

***

"Hey, Tay."

Taylor was so engrossed in her script, she didn't hear Karlie coming. She was standing in front of her, holding a drag cloth. Taylor looked around and noticed that once again, she was the last costumer there.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but we're closing." Karlie offered her an apologetic smile.

"No, it's okay. I guess I lost track of time. Sorry if I'm holding you up."

"You're not," Karlie said with a laugh. "I'm just tidying the place up a little bit before I leave."

Taylor packed her things into her backpack after Karlie left. She gathered her mess from the table and tossed it into the trash bin. Then she sauntered to Karlie, who was cleaning the counter.

"Can I help?"

Karlie looked up and smiled. "No, it's okay. I'll clean your table and then I'm done. Thanks, anyway."

"I got that covered already," Taylor said with a proud smile. "Threw the trash into the bin and all."

"Aw, thanks!" Karlie cocked her head adorably. "You don't have to do that."

Karlie looked around the deserted place then smiled at Taylor. "Then I guess I'm done for the day."

"Awesome! Want to walk home together?"

"Yeah, sure. Just let me grab my things first. One sec!"

Karlie held up her long lean forefinger before she rushed back into the kitchen area at the back of the coffee shop. She came back not long after with a brown leather backpack on her shoulder. Taylor waited for Karlie at the sidewalk as her friend locked up the place. They made small talks about school and other things as they walked back to their apartment side by side. At one point, Karlie reached up and pulled her hair band off her brunette locks. The shiny, long hair fell on her shoulders and swayed as she shook her hair to let them loose. Dramatic as she always was, Taylor could swear that she experienced it in a sensuous slow motion. Holy shit. So this is what I've been missing in life.

Noticing that her friend had suddenly gone quiet, Karlie looked sideways at the dumbfounded girl. Her gaydar was on point and this girl wasn't the exception. She had been checking me out for weeks! Karlie gave Taylor a sly smirk, showing Taylor that her blatant admiration didn't go unnoticed. Taylor blushed furiously and directed her gaze downward for the rest of their walk. Their mutual attractions were obvious for Karlie. She wondered why Taylor hadn't made a move already. She could, and would too. But Taylor's shyness and awkward flirting was just too adorable to watch. I think I'm going to let this play out and enjoy it for a little bit.